Highly Sensitive

A little under a year ago, we replaced our electric oven with a gas hob and fan oven.

Having a gas hob again had us investing in a separate gas monitor to the carbon monoxide monitor already on the door following a fault on the small simmer burner at the front. We had a neat little gizmo from the boat which tracked the problem perfectly so we were able to advise the manufacturer in readiness for a replacement.
The guy came out to sort it (under guarantee) and didn’t, the whole episode being a joke as he arrived without any spare parts at all, said the necessary part could take a week, then 8 days, then a fortnight, and by the time he left two and a half weeks if we were lucky as it had to come from Germany.  If they couldn’t get it, we would be entitled to a new hob, but he said that could take months. He then taped over the burner so that we couldn’t use it, which he said was better than disconnecting it altogether.

To cut a long story short, we contacted our usual gas man to check the pipework and he found a loose fitting which engineer chappy hadn’t even checked for. Gas is something Hubby will not touch and we are lucky in having a good gas guy who looks after us at a reasonable cost.

Anyway, back to the monitor.
It is very sensitive insomuch as anything alcohol based will set it off, and that includes hand sanitizer. Recently our potatoes, some of which were suffering from blight, also made it twitchy as it would appear they were letting off some enzyme that triggered the sensor. Once we moved them out of the way, it behaved itself and settled down.
Would you believe it went off again today! Nothing to do with spuds this time, but the packaging from the frozen meals we had for lunch following Hubby’s blood test!
Good to know it works and nothing out of the ordinary will get past it!

Note:
The cooker is not switched on at the wall unless I use it, so even if I accidentally hit the knobs when I’m cleaning it, they have to be depressed AND turned before any gas is released, so we are confident we do not have a gas leak.  Our gas man is coming to service the boiler next month and will service the hob at the same time as a matter of course.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, observations and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Highly Sensitive

  1. rugby843 says:

    Remind me to Maxwell Smart would you believe? I’m a service man but I really do not know anything about that particular hub

  2. rugby843 says:

    It was sent before editing🙄

  3. Nope, Not Pam says:

    I think it’s better for it to be too sensitive, than too insensitive. I’d rather have to react to little things than have the other issue

  4. rugby843 says:

    No problem I meant that the last sentence was something Max might have said.

  5. Leyde Ryan says:

    Oh my goodness…I do not respond well when these sorts of things happen in my world (I especially related to the repairman coming without spare parts…and then yammering about the predictable long delay till they arrive!). But I do think it’s best, much safer that it’s more sensitive, than less.

    I can’t recall the name of the film right now, but your post triggered an amusing moment in a story of 3 sisters and their dramas, mostly comic–where one of the sisters, having a ‘bad day’, put her head in the oven…which was electric–so a futile effort to end her problem. Hope the rest of your week shines brightly!

  6. murisopsis says:

    Our smoke detector is a tad too sensitive. I mean if the toast gets even a darker brown it starts chirping. Of course if I dare (and I really try not to) burn anything it starts screaming! I lit a candle about a week ago and it went off!

  7. willowdot21 says:

    I wonder what the problem with the food packaging was?

Comments are closed.