Thursday 4th November
The weather was not being kind, but at least the wind had dropped, so shortly after breakfast, we donned our yellow outfits and got outside to set to work.
Tweaking the slabs wasn’t as bad as we thought and we’ve had a little shifty round in the garden with our other storage boxes often referred to as Man Cave and Mini Man Cave which is really a large foot locker, but both have done us proud over the years and will be kept anyway.
First order of the day was to get out the instructions and make sure we had everything we needed. It was damn heavy I can tell you and definitely a two man job to put together.
Everything was clearly marked and we sorted things out in order, identifying screws, brackets, gables and panels.
We were getting wet and cold, so came in for a break before we started the assembly process. The wind had also started to pick up and I was getting really fed up with the bad weather.
The kit was pretty straightforward to put together though as everything slotted together and was held together with screws, the holes for which had been pre-drilled. To be honest, it was quite impressive and the diagrams were easy to follow too, especially as they gave you wrong way illustrations with an X and right way with a big tick.
We were doing really well and had got to the stage of putting on the gables when we had our first tilt. It didn’t line up and this was because just one ‘slot’ was out by a fraction.
I put the kettle on, noting the time was gone midday and we had been working for two hours. Lunch was going to be late again today. A coffee break would have to do for now.
We got the gables on using the biggest screws in the pack and after fitting the roof panels, had lunch just before 2, fish and beans for Hubby and a tomato pasta for me.
We’d come across another tilt in that two metal uprights that went inside didn’t fit in the base notches they were supposed to. This was because the uprights were a tad too fat, so Hubby notched them and they fitted perfectly.
I have never seen so many screws for a job. We had 120 of one size for the bulk of the kit and a variety of others for the roof, window (I fitted that!!!), door latch (real heavy duty stuff), and hinges.
We put the door together indoors as it was the only place that was flat. The last screws, door and latch were fitted by torchlight and we were finished by 6pm.
It had taken us all day but we refused to be beaten by the weather which finally stopped pissing us off and ceased raining around 3pm.
We stood back, gave a cheer and had a hug. We were exhausted.
We locked up, came indoors and put the kettle on, and that was when I cried.
Hubby finally had his shed.
Happy Birthday Love.