If you’ve been following my Today is…………. posts, you’ll know I have kept you updated with our daily progress. Well, as promised, here it is.
It’s taken a week to complete plus a day to clear up and sort things out but we are there.
We moved here in September 2017 with no furniture other than a small bedside table and some reclining chairs given to us by some boating friends. I don’t know how we did it in the I10, but some weeks later we managed to bring home 2 flat pack larder cupboards and a pan drawer unit to ‘make do’ until we could afford something better. These were actually about £200 less than a wardrobe fitment. Saying that, it has done us well, and this is what we had.
After a lot of deliberation, arguments, diagrams, designs, thought and being thoroughly fed up with saving any surplus which earned pence in interest, we agreed to get on with it.
Hubby drew up a plan and costed it out with me having set a budget of £500.
We priced bi-folding doors and alternative internal doors to match what we have and they cost a pretty penny, but it was doable. The local DIY store (well 20 miles away) had everything we wanted, but the kicker was delivery. Neither they, or the store in the other direction did a delivery service and although our order would have been well over £200, we wouldn’t qualify for free ‘local’ delivery because it would have to come from their depot some 40 miles away. We were not impressed, so it was back to our original plan of using the four sides of the units as doors and working on that.
After buying the initial wood for beams and uprights, plus a multitude of screws in different sizes, the first job was to empty the cupboards and dump everything in the spare room, with the overflow of my card making boxes coming into the lounge.
We got the units apart without too much trouble and have 2 lovely bags of fittings should anyone want them.
At the end of day 1 Hubby had the uprights and basic frame in place.
The plan for day 2 was to make ladder supports in two places, leaving the third area for hanging space. We were hoping to utilize the drawer unit, but the jury was out on that until we got the ladders into position.
Day 2, ladders going in
Day three was purchasing and laying the batten shelving and leveling everything up. Bit of a game here as we discovered just how far out the wall was and some adjustments had to made on the back uprights.
Day 3, ‘shelves’ in place.
On the fourth day, we were securing the shelves and making sure we had enough screws.
Each shelf has 9 battens, and each batten has 3 screws in it. We had one left over.
Hubby also used two of the backing hardboard sheets from the larder units to make a ‘solid’ wall between the shelves and hanging space. He then put the hanging rail up.
Day 4, shelves and hanging space.
Day five was dedicated to getting the doors up and running. We had already priced rails and runners, but Hubby made his own using trunking and small rollers on the doors, three on the bottom and 2 on the top.
He put a length of cubed wood between the trunking and the rollers fitted inside perfectly.
We then realised we’d forgotten to purchase a strip of wood for the back of the top and bottom tracks so went shopping again.
It was whilst trying to put the doors in place later that I got donked on the head with the top beam, luckily not from a great height, and Hubby was flagging badly. Rather than rush the job and possibly cock up what we’d done so far, we called it a day.
Day 6 saw the doors being put into position and we were just a little out with our measurement as the rollers didn’t touch the top runners so had to make an adjustment. With the help of a piece of batten to keep them suitably apart, we were then able to snap them into position without too much difficulty.
For the top, we used the four doors from the larder units, cutting them to size and securing them to the top beams.Day 6, doors up and top on.
Our final day was putting the finishing touches to the frame work and checking things were running smoothly. We had ditched the idea of using the drawer unit as we would have had to make supports for the runners, but a DIY friend round the corner offered them a home together with all our off cuts.
Day 7: almost finished!
The last thing to do was stain the frame to darken it down a little to match the doors.
Seeking advice, it was suggested we use Briwax rather than a woodstain, and Hubby applied the first, and so far only, coat yesterday morning before we went out.
The total cost was £343, but Hubby needed some new tools, had to replace some that simply failed due to age, and also bought a couple of items to help with accuracy, so the actual wardrobes cost us around £250.
So we have gone from this