It’s the first of a new month and already the day is half over.
It has been one of those days, one which did not start all that well due to a slight oversight regarding radio antennae and bloody EU regulations.
It would appear that since 2011 should you wish to erect anything more that 60 cm above your highest roof point, you need planning permission unless you have a chimney. We don’t. Bummer.
Yesterday, Hubby had slaved to get his bracket in place ready to attach the aerial today, and now has had to have a rethink. Luckily, he’d joined a forum and this all came to light, luckily before he’d gone any further. He’s already getting back into the swing of CB radio (not ham radio enthusiasts which need a licence), and really looking forward to being able to play with his new toy.
Today has therefore meant another field trip to get some more fittings and trunking so that he can mount the aerial in the garden and bury the cable underground. Although this was not the original plan, it will work out better because at least we do not have the problem of trying to fit an eighteen foot aerial through a drop of about 12 to connect up to a bracket high on the outside wall from the top of a ladder. Every silver lining has a cloud. Ho hum.
Anyway, while we were out, we bought a tin of paint for the bathroom, so this afternoon put the first coat on. This was not in any plan, but we were there, saw a colour that was a pretty good match and went for it. We spent the extra and bought proper paint for the job, and it is horrible to use! We’re using a roller and touching up the edges with a paint brush…….. not cool, and as we surveyed our handiwork, both of us were very quiet.
The colour is actually lighter than the one we had, but saying that, now that the first coat has dried, it looks OK as it’s darkened down considerably.
So, after lunch (last of our stew so chicken curry tomorrow) and allowing the first coat to dry, we were out in the garden measuring cables to the wall from where he intended to put the aerial. Hubby ended up doing things in reverse, drilling a hole in the wall, then poking the cable through and seeing how much we had to play with outside. Good job we did as we were about two metres short of where we’d thought the pole would go. That has now been shifted and embedded in concrete, and two cups of coffee later, Hubby is giving the bathroom a second coat.
Tomorrow will see him digging the trench for the cable and hopefully he might be up and running by the end of the day. I hope so. He needs to unwind somehow and the computer isn’t cutting it.