In my earlier Today is………….. post I said our time was our own and we wouldn’t be doing very much.
Well, the paper flowers weren’t experimented with, a little bit of shopping was done, the chili and pasta didn’t work for Hubby, we’ve resolved the mystery of an intermittent bip, my laptop has fully recovered from battery drainage, we’ve painted the ceiling in the hall, and managed a walk round the block.
Town was busy today, and we were in and out of the supermarket as fast as we could. It was not pleasant, but we got what we wanted, and Hubby bought me some flowers!
Dinner was OK for me, but the pasta, although cooked long and thoroughly, was too chewy for Hubs, so he ended up ditching his dinner and having a frozen lasagna instead, which did go down very well, so no major hunger stakes.
Yesterday my laptop suddenly died, everything went black and all the lights went off.
In a panic, I thought I’d blown a fuse, but then started to think logically. The reason why the lights went off was no power. I hit the ON button, then followed the flex and discovered to my horror that it wasn’t plugged in to the mains. I checked the battery level on the machine and it was 8% as I’d been using it non stop since 10am. OMG. Time to full power, three hours! All is good now thank goodness and I will not do that again!!
For several days, if not weeks, we have been hearing a random ‘bip’. We checked all the usual things, and had changed all the batteries in the alarms last July (I made a note in the diary). Hubby tests them every month, having recently tested them all and they were OK. Today we heard the Phantom Bip at the same time, so got up to investigate. Alarms were all tested and in working order, then just as we were about to rub our heads in confusion, the smoke detector in the hall bipped at us. This one was connected to mains with a battery back up, and has a habit of going off when I cook toast. Anyway, Hubby decided to change it for one like we have in the small bedroom which runs off batteries.
The new unit wasn’t expensive, but naturally a lot smaller than the one being replaced, so Hubby went up into the roof to get the ceiling paint to make good on the job after filling in the hole left by the cable.
We only have the one tin of white paint for ceilings, so assumed that was it and he painted the vacated spot.
Nope. The only common denominator was the colour, and this was a silk finish, not matt.
So the entire ceiling had to be done. We were not ready for this, no materials, brushes, dustsheet or cleaning products, but Hubby ferreted around in the roof and found a small foam roller and painting tray, using the tarp out of the car to protect the carpet.
The job is done and the new alarm in position. It works, and so far, no additional bipping.
Next DIY job is the bathroom which needs a small crack filling over the window and a coat of paint. Luckily it is mainly tiled, so there is not that much wall space to paint. The good news is we have to find a colour close to what’s there and it will all be done at the same time. We therefore have a new shopping list from the DIY store.