The Call

The Call was due at 9.10 this morning. It arrived at 9.15, though was not the Consultant, but a ‘member of the team’.

I was so proud of Hubby today. He apologized in advance saying that any anger was not directed at the caller, who just happened to be the guy on the end of the phone.

With attention to detail, Hubby went through everything he has experienced over the past 5 months. He said about discharge papers still not being received, notes being requested and not responded to, urgent requests for assistance and advice being ignored, how the aftercare he had received was non existent, and that he had just had surgery in hospital to remove a compacted food bolus from his gullet.
The guy said there were tests they could do,ย  so Hubby suggested he ring the hospital where he’d had this latest surgery and ask them, as they’d already done them all. There was a bit of bluster at the other end, but Hubby stood his ground, and let the guy know his full displeasure.

Apparently there is NO record anywhere on their system for requests for notes, discharge papers, urgent assistance or anything else, so Hubby quite rightly said he didn’t want names, but after three GPs and two general nursing practitioners had been in contact with them by various means (not to mention his own messages and requests making six in all) someone really needed to look into their admin procedures. Funny how there was a record of the consultant’s secretary who helped us by sending copies by email of the conversation with the consultant in November, and funny how our requests had been mentioned then so she knew about them!

The official intent for transfer of files and notes was stated and the guy was asked to get the file ready. Hubby kept his cool throughout though I could tell he was getting angrier by the second and if he could have reached into the phone to throttle the guy at the other end, there would have been serious choking sounds. The call lasted 20 minutes.
We have dropped in a letter to our lady GP asking for her to request the file so that she in turn can refer Hubby to the hospital that have been dealing with his case.

You can’t make this stuff up, can you.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, health and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Call

  1. Sadje says:

    What gross incompetence and mixed up system

  2. We deal with this stuff too! My Hubby had a test done, and after waiting 4 weeks for results they realized they did the wrong test. So I hear you loud and clear

  3. murisopsis says:

    Aggravation like that is not healthy! You would think that there would be some sort of centralized information system that shared medical information/patient records!

  4. willowdot21 says:

    Well done hubby your patience is to be admired! I am praying things will go smoothly now ๐Ÿ’œ

  5. What a goings on! I hope you can get this resolved!

  6. Carol anne says:

    thats despicable really it is! I am glad that your hubby got to voice his concerns, he did well to keep his cool, don’t think I could have! Xx

Comments are closed.