Today is Tuesday 29th September

I spoke too soon as our better day yesterday finished with an ambulance in the early hours and Hubby being taken back to A&E.
After a coughing fit, he felt breathless and ‘unwell’ so rested up. He woke me up at  1 am, and having taken his temperature, BP and pulsox, I dialled 999.
The ambulance was with us within half an hour and the paramedics brilliant.
He was given a good assessment, and taken into hospital at 2.15.
They administered aspirin, soluble paracetamol and a nitro spray as he was having difficulty breathing and terrible pains in his chest.
I couldn’t go with him, and it would not have made any sense to follow in the car and sit in the car park in the early hours.

I rang Bro as it was afternoon over there, and just talking to him helped calm me down and keep the tears of panic away. He told me to try and get some sleep and he’d call at 8 am our time for an update.
Hubby text me at 5 am to say he was waiting for the X ray results. I rang him straight back. He sounded so much better, and he was ready to come home. They had given him liquid morphine for the journey and I could go and collect him. All tests, including Xrays and ECG are clear.
Would you believe bloody roadworks have sprung up since two days ago so I had a detour, but I was still there to collect him by 6.30, and we were home by 7.15.

Apparently the coughing had dislodged an air pocket which had moved into his lungs, putting pressure on his heart and causing his muscles to go into spasm. Everything regarding the operation is fine, and because they had filled him with CO2 to do the keyhole surgery, it was not unusual for it to take a while to disperse.
Of course, we didn’t know any of this because NOBODY HAD TOLD US, PREPARED US, GIVEN US ANY PAPERWORK on discharge on the 23rd.

I am glad to have him home, and went back to bed after Bro’s call at 8am. He too was relieved. I slept until 9.40, rolled over and didn’t wake up again until nearly midday. I am shattered, but Hubby is good and that is what really matters.

Keep safe everyone.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Today is Tuesday 29th September

  1. willowdot21 says:

    Hi Di, that was an awful experience. Not unlike mine on leaving hospital. Hardly any information, no idea what to expect. I was in and out, with blood loss. I think its so wrong to send people out blind. In the end I had to ask for help at my local surgery the nurses had been very helpful. Honestly Di it’s all wrong and they can’t keep blaming it on the Covid. Sending you both love and support 💜

  2. Liz says:

    That’s good that everything is ok. Xx

  3. quiall says:

    I will keep all three of you in my prayers.

  4. Sadje says:

    I’m so glad that it was nothing serious. Take care and stay safe

  5. TheHiddenEdge says:

    So pleased to hear all is well. It’s a nightmare when you are stuck at home not knowing – feeling completely impotent. 😊

  6. There is never a dull moment at your house!

  7. Paula Light says:

    What an ordeal! Now that you say this, I remember feeling horrible “gas pains“ after my two lady surgeries. Ugh! Hopefully all will be smooth sailing now… ❤️

  8. SarahC says:

    Glad he’s ok. I have been there as well when discharge Mr after stroke overmedicated and had ambulance ride few days later. Best wishes for recovery 🌹

  9. murisopsis says:

    That was a harrowing experience. I guess he can scratch an ambulance ride off the bucket list! I know you didn’t get any sleep so being able to sleep to noon is just what your body needed. I hope there aren’t any more surprises!

  10. Di, I feel awful! When I first read about your husband’s procedure I remember you stating that he was filled with gas to give them more space for “working”. After reading that I was going to mention that my father had once gone through a procedure with the gas also. He went to the emergency room a few days later thinking he was having a heart attack. It was the gas! But after I read your post I must have forgotten to mention it to you! I wish I had remembered because it may have helped you not be as scared as you had been. I am just glad to know he is okay.

  11. Hoping each day gets better for you all.

  12. scifihammy says:

    Oh dear! So sorry to hear this. What a very scary experience for you both. I’m glad the ambulance arrived quickly and that everything checked out OK.
    Not surprised you need a breather! I hope you both have some quieter healing time ahead. All the best 🙂

Comments are closed.