He’s home!

After a restless night, I had a text message at 6.30 this morning to tell me he would be coming home today and it was just a matter of the paperwork.
I got up, had breakfast and walked the dog, then got on the road at 8.30, hoping to avoid the school run (sort of) and traffic build up on the by-pass (definitely not, but at least most of the jam was in the other direction)
The satnav took me where I expected, though I don’t remember some of the junctions so I may well have nodded off in the car yesterday after all. Anyway, I arrived at 10.45 and then had the nightmare of trying to park. Hubby had switched his phone off so I couldn’t tell him I’d arrived, so I parked outside the reception area where I’d left him yesterday and stayed with the car in case I had to move. He rang me then so I could tell him where I was and what was happening……. or more accurately, what wasn’t.

There was a cock up with his meds and they’d had to order in the drugs to their pharmacy, so Hubby was all ready to go but had to wait for them. A parking space became available so I nabbed that and waited…………… it was 11.15.
At 12.15 there was a tapping on the glass and Hubby was putting his stuff in the boot.
‘Get me out of here,’ he said.
Apparently the meds would not be there until at least 3.30, despite them knowing he was being discharged today. They didn’t care that I’d been in the car four hours already, yet they expected me to wait another 3, then have a further 2 and a half hour drive home.
Second word was …… It and we left. Hubby has some pain medication including tramadol, so he would take that.
The doc at the hospital has arranged an INR for tomorrow, Friday and Monday, but there was no after surgery supply of Clexane. Neither was there any sign of a diet sheet, list of precautions, after care or guidelines, so once again we have to work things out on our own. No matter, he’s home !! and we can concentrate on his recovery. The staff were nice and looked after him, but the system and admin side suck.

We got in about 3.40, so it’s been another long day. He’s in a lot of pain though, and his belly looks like a patchwork quilt where they went in in various places to do the job. The internal stitches are permanent but the outer ones dissolvable so no need for him to go back and have them out. They have also sorted out the hiatus hernia the HHA at our surgery said he didn’t have. It would appear that it was the cause of the majority of his problems. Hopefully he should begin to feel better tomorrow, and has managed some vegetable soup (minus the vegetables) this afternoon. I shall be making a stew for us for the next few days as he can have the liquid. He’s found it more comfortable to lie on the bed than the settee so he’s having a snooze now.

It has been a horrible day weather wise, chucking it down with rain all the way to the hospital. Saying that though, I managed to stop for a potty break for Maggie on the way home and also walked her round the block before the next downpour. The good thing about rain is that it will wash away all the nasty bacteria that have upset her stomach. She seems more like her normal self now. She has not gone far from Hubby’s bedside.

We both have to self isolate for 14 days now, not 3 as he was originally told. Nothing is uniform or consistent, and we find that annoying as well as disconcerting. Luckily we are well stocked so I’m not worried.
He’s home!!!!!!!

Take care everyone

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to He’s home!

  1. I can’t believe they released him without instructions! Can he get meds from his local docs? I hope he has a good night.

    • We’re not surprised actually. As for the meds, apparently no, they couldn’t give him the prescription to get filled here. Worse case scenario is he rings the surgery and asks the doctor to write one for him.

  2. Jen Goldie says:


  3. So glad he’s home and all went well, despite all the inconsistencies, back-and-forth, and ups and downs! Hope he continues to recover well, and much love to you and Maggie!

  4. I am so happy for you both. Having him home and on the mend is great news.

  5. blindzanygirl says:

    Fantastic news Di. I am so happy for you. You’ve got it over now, and the only way is up. I hope he has a good night, and feels much better tomorrow. Much love to you both, and to Maggie xxxx

  6. Liz says:

    Glad to hear he is home and everything went well bying for the lack of after care sheets. I am really surprised about that too, that he wasn’t given anything on that.

  7. willowdot21 says:

    So glad all is good, nothing you have said has surprised me in the least God help us. If you need help don’t hesitate, the ward or 999.. hopefully you won’t need it. Sending you all gentle hugs πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

  8. Paula Light says:

    Glad he’s home, but what a nightmare! Thank goodness for google ❀️

  9. My first thought – what a God-awful nightmarish experience!
    I pray he has a speedy recovery and you manage to find some time to rest.
    100% positive vibes from USA! LTU and UR hubbie. πŸ™‚

  10. scifihammy says:

    Sheesh What a palaver! No post op meds or instructions is crazy! But Yay so glad he’s home safe and sound and you survived that round trip. πŸ˜€
    Seems just as well to have had the op as they fixed up the hernia too. Now to recover and heal up.
    Hope you both sleep better tonight. πŸ™‚

  11. I have been thinking about most of the day> Since my surgery was something similar I understand what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

  12. Sadje says:

    Wonderful news. Hope the recovery is seamless. Hugs Di.

  13. murisopsis says:

    Thanks goodness for the internet! Glad he’s home!!

  14. Carol anne says:

    Yay so glad he’s home! I hope his recovery is quick and speedy! sorry about the meds, they should have had all that ready for you when he was being discharged! Maggie is being her usual faithful self, sticking close to him! I’ll keep him in my prayers! xoxo

Comments are closed.