Update at a sensible hour!

I actually dropped Hubby off at 6.15 this morning as we made good time. This isn’t really surprising bearing in mind what time it was!
Reception was open so he was able to go straight in, and I came home.
Oh god.
The satnav told me to turn left but we’d turned left into the hospital and I could remember the road so took a right.
All was familiar, which is no main feat seeing as it was pitch black when we arrived and I was half asleep in the passenger seat.
Then it all went belly up.
Ms Sat Nav sent me on my merry way to DONCASTER.
There is no mention, up, down, sideways glance or otherwise, of Doncaster on our route, and nowhere safe to stop as traffic was getting heavier, so I just had to follow directions.
I passed a few right hand turns that could have put me on the road we came in on but I wasn’t sure, so put my utmost faith in a machine and just hoped it was right!
I breathed a sigh of relief when I approached a set of traffic lights with a coffee wagon in the layby which I recognised.Β  All was good after that and Doncaster was kicked into touch as I picked up the main route and knew where I was. Even more importantly, I knew where I was going.
Sort of.

These roads are familiar from our house hunting travels but I don’t quite know how I managed to follow Missy and end up going through the centre of Lincoln. This is a bottleneck in its own right, and I could’ve kicked myself for taking the third exit off the roundabout as per instructions instead of the usual second. As it happens though, this might not have been a bad thing as roadworks were due to open at 6.30 on the by pass, and I would have been slap bang in the middle of single file traffic and loads of HGVs.
Once through the city, I got caught behind a stream of vehicles behind not one, but two fully laden tractors, for over 10 miles.
It was home ground now though, so I was quite content and we stopped off at the picnic area for a potty break and to stretch our legs. We had stopped twice on the way up and previously on the way back but Maggie preferred to stay in the car. She did a wee, then it was home via the supermarket to get some bacon as I fancied a bacon baguette for lunch to go with some mushrooms I had left over. I also snuck in a danish pastry to boost my sugar and energy levels.

I walked the dog round the block, then settled down for a nap. Maggie wasn’tΒ  having any of it in the bedroom, so I curled up on the settee and catnapped for about an hour as I was watching the clock. The next thing I knew it was midday.

After lunch, I walked the dog again, then went to refuel the car as we don’t like to let it go below a half tank these days. The total journey was 162 miles so even with my little detours, there was little difference in distance to the 80.6 miles there.

Hubby’s surgery was due at midday. I rang the hospital an hour ago and he wasn’t back yet.Β  We’re not too sure if he would be having keyhole surgery or something more substantial. Our friend over the road had this operation about 10 years ago and was in theatre for 5 hours. Things have changed a lot since then though, especially as it was his surgeon’s ‘first time’. Hubby had sent me a message to say he’d met with his surgeon and he seemed a nice guy. I’ve left a message anyway and got the extension number of the ward for when I ring later.
All I can do now is wait.
Thank you all for your kind wishes and thoughts. It means so much and I’ll be back later when I’ve got some more news.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have an elderly dog called Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary, health and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Update at a sensible hour!

  1. I’ll be thinking of you and your family during this time. It’s the waiting that’s the most stressful bit in my opinion. Everything will go just great I’m sure! Now, I missed a memo somewhere, but I don’t know what this surgery is that your hubby is having… I know you must have told folks at some point (or maybe not, it is a rather private matter), but if you don’t mind re-airing that for those of us who’ve contracted terminal ‘oldfartitis disease)? Take care today Di, and give Ms. Maggie loves. I know it’s an anxious time..

    • Bless you Melanie. I have no idea of the terminology, but basically they are doing a repair to the stomach lining and a valve to contain the digestive juices and prevent reflux. He’s been waiting for almost 3 years.

  2. Chel Owens says:

    I’m sure he and your navigation system will be fine. πŸ™‚

  3. murisopsis says:

    Our GPS (Elizabeth) likes to take a round about route. Sometimes she has an off day and routes us in circles but usually she’s okay. I’m glad you got there and back safely. I’m sending prayers for a successful surgery!

    • I’ve just spoken to him and told him to get some sleep.
      We’re surprised our SatNav doesn’t swear at us because there are times we ignore her completely because we know short cuts or a better route! Still, I got home safe and sound and that’s what matters. I;m confident of the route going to collect him though so that’s a plus.

  4. Sadje says:

    I hope his surgery goes smoothly. A speedy recovery for him and no stress for you. Keep us posted.

  5. I hope that you get good news about your husband’s surgery.

  6. willowdot21 says:

    A busy day πŸ‚πŸ’œπŸ

  7. scifihammy says:

    I had to check your blog to see how things are going.
    What a marathon journey you had! But glad you got to the hospital in good time and back home again safely. And that Danish was well-earned! πŸ˜€

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s