You couldn’t make this up……………………

It has been our nightmare, the phone call from the hospital to say Hubby’s Op has been cancelled.
The phone rang this afternoon just before 1pm and I answered.  I recognised the number before she said who was calling and passed the phone across to Hubby.

It was not good.
He was asked if he’d had his COVID test, to which he replied yes, when, where and at what time.
There was obvious confusion at the other end as it would appear this was not the correct hospital for the test.
Hubby pointed out that he had been surprised at the change of venue too and had queried it, but it was correct that he was to go to a local hospital and they were expecting him.
The Op hospital could not find the results, or a record of the test being done.
Hubby confirmed that the hospital nurse had said the details would be sent on to the relevant department.
They didn’t have them.
What followed was almost an hour and a half and most of the credit on a mobile phone chasing the test results from point A to point B to point C.
The local hospital couldn’t give the results of the test as they didn’t keep them, but gave Hubby a number to ring.
This had a recorded message to say that calls could not be taken at this time.
Onto the internet and both of us frantically trying to find a telephone number for pre-op assessments.
We found two,  both of which had full voicemails and no messages could be left.
I almost ended up calling The States but recognised the telephone number was not a UK format.
We tried to redial the number that they had called us from at 1pm.
The recorded message said that this number was not one to rely to.
No email addresses available for anyone.
Hubby dug out the Op paperwork and rang the numbers of the assessment girls who had sorted everything out. No reply and then the phone died.
He rang the main switchboard of the test results hospital and was given a direct line………… which stated there were 16 people in the queue.
Last resort was to try the assessment girls again, and bingo, a response, but again the phone died. Frantic redial through all the numbers and recorded messages and got back to our lassie who had been trying to call us back but the number failed.
She said she had a contact in the results department and would call them to find out what was going on, then call Hubby back. We confirmed my mobile number was the one she had.
Ten minutes later she rang to say she couldn’t get through but had sent an email. She was off home now (2.15) and would be on it first thing in the morning as she was in at 8.
Not much good to us as we have to be there at 7.15.
If they have no results or it’s positive, no op and he’d be sent home.

Hubby was in such a state, he had to go for a walk…….. on his own. I know that feeling.

While he was out, my mobile rang. It was the hospital but a different girl.
Relief the results are in, negative, and the Op can go ahead as scheduled.
I told Hubby before he cleared the door threshold when he got back. He was a mess.
Looking at the paperwork, the landline number they have for us is that of the cottage. We left in 2014. Thank heavens we haven’t changed our mobile number, but once again it goes to show that they don’t keep their records uptodate.

As my title implies, you can’t make this up.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary, health, oh dear, people and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to You couldn’t make this up……………………

  1. NOOOOOO! I was through something similar but different and ended up in a hospital gown prepped for a 7 a.m. surgery but didn’t get into surgery until after 4 p.m. I remember the anxiety. I hadn’t eaten since the day before but I wasn’t hungry. I didn’t know if they’d operate. I didn’t get home until after 9 p.m. and my family was frantic as I should have been home before noon. This was in the days before cells were common and everyone had one. I can imagine how he felt. He had waited so long and did so much prep work to get this last minute run around! Glad it worked out. Hugs to you all.

  2. fransiweinstein says:

    WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!!!!!! I am speechless, which is just as well because it is doubtful WordPress would approve of my language. So I will focus instead on the positive outcome: Your hubby IS having his surgery.

  3. blindzanygirl says:

    Wow Di. That is awful. But I have to say I am not surprised, the way things are these days. I hope things get better Di xx

  4. scifihammy says:

    Agh! This is so much unnecessary stress – on top of already being stressed about going in for an op! My sympathies to you both.
    It has always amazed me that everything was still done by post in the UK – it would never work here. – which is one of the reasons I always ask for the results myself, so I walk out of any hospital with them in my hand. – I’m paying for it, so I guess that makes the difference!
    Take a deep breath and all the best for tomorrow!

  5. Anonymous says:

    Good Luck – xxxx

  6. Liz says:

    Oh my. You don’t need that and yes, I can imagine the state you both in. I think I would be wanting to go for a walk too. I certainly be pacing around the place, with my hands on my head. Blood pressure high.
    I really hope things go smoothly now and no more nasty surprises.

  7. Good grief! Here’s hoping all goes well, as you have both surely been through more than enough!

  8. willowdot21 says:

    God help us all!💜💜💜

  9. Sadje says:

    So glad it was sorted out at the end.

  10. murisopsis says:

    Mercy!! At least he is all squared away now. Hope all goes well.

  11. What a mess! But I’m glad that it got sorted. It must have been quite an ordeal.

  12. DM says:

    Just wow. I am so glad this one ended well. I can’t imagine the stress Di.

    • Hi Doug. He’s in and still in theatre as far as I know. I’ll be ringing later to see if he’s back and how things went, unless he calls me first of course! I wouldn’t put that past him!!

Comments are closed.