Finally after waiting almost three years, Hubby has a date for his op.
Two years ago he went for an assessment following a wait of months for his reflux problems. We heard nothing, and letters to the consultant’s secretary went unanswered, even those sent by recorded delivery. Hubby followed it up with the GP, and another wait.
It turns out they lost his original paperwork, so we had to start again, and he had an overnighter last year whilst they wired him up to check how everything was being processed. Surgery was agreed and so we waited some more.
Then this happened and Dick.
Come January this year, he had another assessment and we had to travel 87 miles for it.
Surgery should have happened some 28 days later…………….. or not.
We heard nothing, more emails and letters, then a letter to say all operations had been cancelled because of the virus.
This is me making sure he gets some rest
We reviewed Hubby’s eating habits and times, and by making a few changes, he has been coping. Then one day whilst out shopping, we had a phone call for an assessment. Turns out they had sent a letter, but we never got it.
Anyway, we received another letter recently for a telephone assessment for the 9th of September, so imagine our surprise when the phone rang yesterday wishing to discuss his forthcoming operation! I asked if we should have been expecting a call as Hubby wasn’t home and could they call back in ten minutes or so. She said that was perfectly OK as it wasn’t a scheduled call that we would know about.
Well, the ten minutes stretched to almost two hours, and the lady Hubby spoke to is someone he has dealt with before and she is ‘switched on’ to his case.
Bottom line is, he has a date for his op at the end of the month, even though he has to travel the 87 miles for it.
Then we hit the red tape and preparations……….. self isolation two weeks beforehand, jabs to the tummy instead of warfarin to commence 5 days before, Covid test at another hospital 48 miles away (can’t do it locally as they are not connected to the hospital where he will have his surgery), be prepared to stay in for two nights, then self isolation for 3 days (we’ll work out the liquid diet on our own later).
So, we have had to cancel our flu jabs and reschedule for the end of October now, cancel his INR blood test, which luckily we were able to bring forward to next week, and I shall be his taxi to and from, plus his nurse.
Like the get up?