Dr Tanya has given us the subject of sandwiches for our 5 things prompt today.
Now anyone who regularly reads my blog knows how much I love my food, and fresh crusty bread, either brown or white, can be my downfall. Mind you, it’s not necessarily the bread that does the damage in the diet, but the butter I put on it! So as I don’t buy butter or spreads now, that has taken some of the calories out of the equation.
1. Top buttie has to be toasted cheese. Lovely with a garnish of a little lettuce and cherry tomatoes. I can grate the cheese and mix it with an egg then put it under the grill like a rarebit, or cheat and cook toast, put sliced cheese in between and shove it in the microwave for about 30 seconds until the cheese melts. Can be a bit messy but when you’re on your own and a bit peckish, who cares?
2. Number two is prawns and mayo with wholemeal bread. Yeah, I know, mayo is bad for me, but if I make the butty myself, I use the ‘lightest of light’ mayo at just one syn per tablespoon.
3. Number three is tuna and sweetcorn in a crusty baguette, again with a little mayo in lieu of spread. I might throw in some sliced cucumber for a dash of colour.
4. Number four, a BLT on seeded brown bread or a multi grain. Extra crispy bacon, lettuce and tomato with mayo.
5. Another toastie, this time bananas. Quick and easy to make, no butter, just a smushed up banana slapped between two pieces of hot toast! Yum.