The calm after the storm

Sitting here at the moment listening to a rather good selection of music Hubby has picked up off Youtube.
We don’t listen to the radio or CDs very often now. In the car the radio might be on for the news or traffic reports if we’re travelling any distance. I couldn’t tell you what’s popular in the charts let alone what’s at the top as the majority ofΒ  ‘current’ music I’ve heard has been pretty dire, either noise, warbling or totally tuneless.

The day has been lazy. Apart from walking three bags of poo to the doggy bin by the cut through and giving Maggie a test walk of little distance to see how her joints are, we haven’t been out of the house other than the garden.
No phone calls and no visitors, it was nice to have some post, even if it was just bank statements, confirmation of Hubby’s CT scan next week and some scalpel blades he’d ordered.
Food has been snacky, I can’t say baked potatoes are cooking and it has been nice to just relax at home basically doing nothing at all.
Our blood pressures have reverted to normal, and we have calmed down after the trauma of yesterday.

I had over two hours nonstop driving picking Hubby up from the hospital last night.
It’s a long time since I did some night driving, in fact the last time was when he was in the hospital in the other direction about a year and a half ago following a heart scare. I got there to collect him at 4 am only to find him wired up and as white as a sheet having had an episode whilst waiting for me, so I ended up coming home on my own.
Last night, it was surprising the amount of people walking, on push bikes and other vehicles on the road between 1.30 and 2 .30 am.
I saw a pair of huge eyes staring at me from the middle of the road and as there was nobody else about, I stopped. It was an owl, a tawny owl I think, totally gorgeous and silent in flight when it took off. Sadly I saw a dead muntjac deer which wasn’t there when I’d first come home around eleven thirty, and three foxes on their nightly prowl. There were also quite a number of cats.

We thought about having an early night, but I know that isn’t a good idea when our minds are thinking about something else, so now, at nearly 11 pm, we’ve walked the dog to the end of the road to do her business and given her a dose of loxicom to help her sleep through the night. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more normal for all of us.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to The calm after the storm

  1. Liz says:

    May you sleep well tonight. I am up a bit later than usual. But I am ready myself now. So shall say goodnight.

  2. willowdot21 says:

    I hope you all have a better night sending all three of you lots of love and healing vibes πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

  3. fransiweinstein says:

    Have a good night Di.

  4. Sadje says:

    Hope tomorrow is better.

  5. murisopsis says:

    Hope the morning finds you all back to normal and well rested! I dislike driving at night especially when I’m not familiar with the roads!

  6. Enjoy the calm. May the next storm be very very far away.

Comments are closed.