It’s also a red letter day as our beefy beetroot was of a suitable size to be pulled according to the seed packet.
Until we bought the cottage, we’d never thought to grow any of our own produce, and had mammoth success with green beans, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, a few leeks, rhubarb and a promising swede until a visitor’s dog ate it. We tried growing tomatoes on the boat but it was a bit of a dead loss so we only tried it once.
Growing our own here is very hit and miss because the soil is lousy, but now we’ve got the greenhouse, we’ve got some green bushy things going nuts, including sprouts!
Anyway, today’s lesson was beetroot.
I’ve never cooked it and usually rely on the pickled variety, so getting a simple instructions guide off the internet, we set to.
Hubby plucked the beast from the ground, twisted off the top foliage and cut off the root.
This site said to leave around 2.5cm (about an inch) top and bottom so that it didn’t bleed during cooking, and to gently scrub the flesh to remove any dirt being careful not to tear it.
Place the beetroot in a pan and cover with water. It said to add salt but I didn’t bother, and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t stink the house out as it was cooking.Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes depending on size. We only had the one and the whole bringing to the boil and simmering process took 26 minutes.
To check if done, insert a sharp knife into the flesh which should slip in easily. Perfect.
As you can see, it’s not huge, this is my holey serving spoon.
Hubby is very happy as now we can grow our own. The interesting thing is he can’t eat it.