Quick action……………..

It has been a nightmare afternoon.
Maggie had her vet appointment this morning and although we have no more antibiotics, we are to continue with the hibitane wash and loxicom/metacam for another week or so to keep the area clean. It is healing, but slowly.

Feeling quietly confident, we did a bit of shopping and when we got back to the car and loaded up, Maggie was violently sick.
When we got home, she threw up again on the front lawn, came indoors and had a long drink. We let her into the back garden where she started to eat grass and threw up again.
I got lunch but she was unable to settle, going in and out of all the rooms, pacing up and down and we could tell there was something wrong.

Hubby took her for a short walk and she was violently sick again.
She’d had no breakfast this morning, so we thought it might have been travel sickness but then Hubby smelt her breath and alarm bells started to ring as it smelt of peardrops.
I was on the phone to the vet immediately as we thought she’d picked up something toxic when we’d stopped en route as normal in the morning to let her have a wee.
They were marvellous, and as I was talking to them, Hubby got in the car and was on his way. We’ve seen them in action with suspected poisoning and they are brilliant.
He got there within half an hour. The team were ready to do blood and sugar tests, and she was given the whole nine yards toxic screening as we had no idea what it could be, the results being processed on site and available in ten minutes. Kidneys, liver, heart all clear.
I am so glad we signed on with this vet. The local ones have to send their tests away unless it’s a pee dip test.

She’s good.

The vet said that whatever it was, by being so violently ill and so often, she had got rid of it thanks to her own immune system and it was unlikely anything remained inside her to do any damage. However, she gave her an injection to stop her being sick (her throat is inflamed and sore because of the vomiting) and we have a charcoal solution we have to give her twice a day for three days. We’ve managed one and it is going to be an interesting exercise to get that much in her orally so hope I can mix it with something like custard or yogurt.
She’s extremely dopey and the sleep will help, though we are watching her carefully. We’ve managed to get her to eat a little and she’s drinking OK which is good news.

It has been an anxious time, and the relief I felt when Hubby rang to say she was OK and he was making his way quietly home was immense.
His quick reaction and getting her to the vet so fast speaks volumes and I dread to think of the alternative. It has knocked him for six too, and now the adrenalin rush is over, he’s crashed out on the settee.

There are no clues as to what it could have been. Perhaps she sniffed something she shouldn’t that had been discarded by a visitor, or someone had put poison down for rodents or vermin and she’d picked that up, though she’s never been a ‘sweeper’ and tends to sniff but leave alone.
She’s been checked out though and seems OK, but any concerns and we will be back in contact with the vet no matter what time it is.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, health, Maggie and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Quick action……………..

  1. Oh my goodness!!! O_o That must have been horrifying. You and your hubby are great parents to Miss Maggie. That whole vomiting repeatedly thing is so scary! I’m glad you have a good sensible vet. When Pudge went through something similar last month all I got was expensive (unnecessary) ‘anti-nausea’ medication), a lot of expensive tests (I’m not begrudging the cost) and no answers. I wish we had a good vet up this way. Alas not. Best wishes to Miss Maggie. If she’s drinking and eating again, then she feels okay. It’s when they stop that the problems start. Take care!

    • Thanks Melanie. She seems good, fast asleep just now which won’t hurt.
      With all the tests and emergency treatment I was expecting a bill of a couple of hundred pounds, but it was only sixty so I was well pleased.

  2. Paula Light says:

    Ughhh scary!!! Glad your vet is top notch ❤️

  3. fransiweinstein says:

    How terrifying!! I know how panicked you must have been, I once had a poison scare with one of my cats. Thank goodness I also acted quickly and she was ok as well. I think all 3 of you could use a nap. So glad you’re all ok.

    • Thanks Fransi. Scared me badly, and I’m so glad to have Hubby who knew what to look for and what to do.

      • fransiweinstein says:

        Yes you’re lucky. I’ve always been paranoid because so many plants are toxic for cats. A friend brought me a plant and I was afraid it was toxic. I put it down to check my list and my cat made a beeline for it and nipped off a tiny bit of the tip. I called my vet immediately and she said it was a deadly plant. My vet wasn’t close by but an emergency vet was so I was there in seconds. They had to give her peroxide to induce vomiting and thank heavens it hadn’t been digested yet and came up totally intact. They kept her for a few days because she wouldn’t eat because of the violent vomiting and she needed to be on an IV. The vet told me it was my quick reaction that saved her. Needless to say the plant was in the garbage before I had my coat off.

      • I don’t have plants in the house, but do have cut flowers occasionally. If I had a cat, I would be a nervous wreck because I wouldn’t know. It’s something you don’t normally think about isn’t it.
        Glad puss was OK

      • Liz says:

        Yes. I am the same when owning cats, it’s much easier to not have plants then seeing what is fine or not.
        When I would receive the odd bouquet of flowers, I would only have these in the kitchen window, as so it was not in same room as cat,as I would close the door to the kitchen the minute I would leave.
        While I now have no cats, I have a couple of plants. But if ever a cat owner, these plants will be be either in my bedroom where cat wouldn’t have access, or in the bin.

      • fransiweinstein says:

        I didn’t have plants either, for that very reason. I also stick to cut flowers — but even with them I always checked the list first.

      • It’s something we tend to overlook isn’t it.

      • fransiweinstein says:

        You can’t be too careful.

  4. blindzanygirl says:

    Oh my God what a nightmare Di. I could feel it all with you as I read it. Just SO glad Maggie is O.K. And thank goodbess she did vomit it all up. Poor Maggie, and poor you. What a day!

  5. willowdot21 says:

    God bless Maggie I hope she will be her old self very soon. They are so important to us 💜💜💜💜

  6. jenanita01 says:

    Poor Maggie, she has really been through the mill! Hopefully, the worst is over now…

  7. Glad she seems okay now. It is a scare. One of my dogs ate some mushrooms in the yard. She started foaming from the mouth and I decided to call the vet and he said was organic poisoning. I don’t use pesticides so I had no idea. I found out later if I hadn’t taken her to the Vet.; she would have been dead by morning. It is very sorry to have furfriend ill and not know what is wrong.

  8. What a scare! It’s too bad you don’t know the exact cause. My cats don’t eat plants or flowers although I’m careful what I bring in. They will eat a mouse if they can catch it and that’s always worrisome. You all need a good nap now!

  9. quiall says:

    I will keep her, and you, in my prayers.

    • Thanks Pam.
      She’s fast asleep beside me having had her final walk (and a wee!), a little bit of dinner and a good drink. Her nose is lovely and cold, so it’s looking good. I’m a light sleeper so will know when she moves or gets up.

  10. Liz says:

    What a scare for you both and poor Maggie. I would have been panicking too and getting very worried. I hooe Maggie feels back to her old self soon.

  11. Complete nightmare. Fingers crossed. Thinking of you.

  12. Sounds like a terrible and scary day, so glad it had a happy ending.

  13. Sue Vincent says:

    I am glad Maggie is okay… what a scare, bless her!

  14. Sadje says:

    It’s good that she puked out dangerous stuff . Hope she is feeling like her old self again.

Comments are closed.