Knowing your routes…………..

We have just got back from Hubby’s appointment, and it has been a good day even if it has been a long one……….well as far as travelling goes.
The route we picked out together from the comfort of our sofa last night was brilliant.
We were up at 5.15, and walking the dog after breakfast before 6am.
We set off from home at 6.30 wanting to get past the usual snarl ups at rush hour.
The first part of our journey is always a bit of a shot in the dark regarding luck, and we did get caught at 7.30 on the by pass which is always a bottleneck anyway. The first roundabout wasn’t too bad but less than 500 yards in on the next stretch and it was a sea of red lights. It took us about half an hour to travel two miles, but at least we weren’t at a standstill like the traffic coming in the opposite direction. It was pure volume of traffic, nothing else, so once we were past the final roundabout, it was full steam ahead.
Hubby’s appointment was at 10.30 and we were a good two hours ahead of the game, so stopped at a roadside trailer for a cuppa and shared a bacon and egg roll. Maggie had some too, but we admit we could not have managed a whole one each as it was good value on a Desperate Dan bap. The cuppa was very welcome, even more so at just 70p compared to £1 at most trailers.
After that, we were on virgin territory, going along B roads rather than the original A roads we’d selected because we had the time to spare to follow the SatNav instructions and track its directions on the road map.
We went through some very pretty villages, the roads were quiet and not so potholed so not so stressful, and this route shaved off a good ten miles and half an hour.
Getting to the hospital was an absolute breeze, and we were lucky to find a parking space just a little way from where Hubby had to be. We were an hour early which was great.
The car park ticket machine wasn’t working, so although I stayed in the car with Maggie, we put a note on the dash with our time of arrival, appointment time and department details, plus £4 which would have been our fee, just in case someone came round to check and thought we were pulling a fast one.
I wrote four letters to friends and managed two Sudukos as Hubby was inside for almost three hours and has had all the necessary tests and checks done. It would appear that some vital notes have not been added to his file, so that has now been rectified and a couple of other little details like the distance we have to travel to get there duly noted. Hubby has asked to be put on the afternoon list for surgery as for us to get him there ar 7am for the morning schedule would mean leaving home at 4am. Going down the night before and staying in a hotel is not an option due to cost and of course having the dog, plus he cannot drive after surgery, so I will have to collect him and drive home. It’s not clear yet whether he will be in for one or two nights and we won’t know until after surgery anyway.
We had a test drive today for this, and it is the first distance driving I’ve done since my surgery. I drove the full 80 miles home without problem, and although I’m tired, I don’t hurt or feel in any discomfort. Another milestone passed. Hurrah!
Now we just have to wait for a date for his operation and take it from there.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Knowing your routes…………..

  1. fransiweinstein says:

    Too bad he can’t be at the same hospital you were at, so you could stay with your friend. But, glad you found your way with no problems and you were able to drive home. All good.

  2. Best of luck to the hubby!

  3. So glad you are back able to drive! I hope all goes well for surgery and it is a fast healing process!!

  4. I can’t imagine driving a post-op patient 80 miles, especially when you’re not too far past your own surgery. Hope all goes well for both of you.

    • My surgery was 170 miles away as we wanted to keep it all with the same consultant as we trusted her implicitly. We were able to stay with a friend which made it a lot easier. The daft thing is Hubby’s consultant/surgeon has surgeries in Lincoln, some 45 miles away, but does not do this operation there! It beggars belief as they say.
      It’s been a good day though, and although I’m tired, I don’t hurt which is what was worrying Hubby most.

  5. I am making some major life changes. I am starting to learn Google Chrome and my WordPress contents will be different. Bear with as I learn. Betty Louise

Comments are closed.