Having spent a further three hours last night going through my posts and reducing the size of some of the unrealised gi-normous photos I had copied into my blog, I feel I have made progress.
This morning, I went through my pictures, putting the older ones I wanted to keep on a key. The memory used in my laptop is now 42% (though it was only 46% when I started) so it was a good exercise.
However, that doesn’t seem to be all the problem. Together we’ve gone through how my machine is set up and got rid of programs I don’t use and things that had snuck in somehow. I was able to see that when I view posts or graphics, the memory is eaten up, but what didn’t happen was that it didn’t revert back to ‘normal’ when those posts were closed.
Not realising that, I had been opening up separate tabs and had several things going on whilst I was contentedly working or reading posts from the bloggers I follow. My little laptop was never designed for that.
Now that I know what’s going on and understand the basics if not the mechanics, I can modify the way I work and view. It should help anyway. The good news is that when I turn my machine off, everything shuts down and sets back to normal.