Or in this case, a recipe.
The cafe on the prom does the most wonderful cheesecakes, with kitkats, toblerones, caramel, fudge, butterscotch, whatever the lady fancies putting in them.
I have often asked her for the recipe, having found the ones on the internet involve baking, or use gelatine.
She said hers were equal quantities of full fat soft cheese (doesn’t work with half or low fat) and double cream, a couple of drops of vanilla essence and sugar to taste.
I had another look on the internet and the sugar mentioned for the mix was powdered sugar, which I believe is what we in the UK refer to as icing sugar.
Well, I didn’t have any of that, though I had bought vanilla essence a little while ago when I saw it, and this week bought my cream cheese and double cream, so ordinary granulated it was.
Hubby has enjoyed the majority of the cake I made on Wednesday, having the final piece today which has left me open to experiment.
I have also had to improvise as I don’t have a tin with a removable base, but I’ve had a go.
My base was 8 digestive biscuits bashed to crumbs in a bag and about 3 oz of melted margarine plus 1 tablespoon of sugar. I mixed all that together and pressed it tightly into the base of my tin which I had lined with greaseproof paper.
I put that in the fridge and left it for two hours. It seemed to have set OK, though possibly too much biscuit and not enough marg. Oh well.
Now the tricky bit, well for me anyway.
I got my mixer out and a large bowl, putting the full 200g of full fat cheese in with a tablespoon of sugar and whipped it on the highest setting. It looked a bit thin and I thought I was on to a loser.
Anyway, I gradually added the double cream, whipping it until it was thickening before adding any more, then finally my vanilla essence. It was really quite firm and I didn’t need the makeshift ring of greaseproof paper and wooden stirrer supports to hold everything in place. I intend to buy a deep cake tin with the proper base for the next one.
I’ve used mini marshmallows for decoration which came tumbling out of the bag too fast, but never mind. This is a first attempt, so I’m not really bothered if it’s untidy!
It’s now in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
The paper ‘handles’ are to lift the cheesecake out of the tin as it’s not very deep.
Worse case scenario is I open the fridge and it’s all gone back to liquid, or it’s intact until I lift it out of the tin, then the base falls apart and it all drops on the floor.
As it stands though, it doesn’t look too bad does it, and I cleaned the bowl with my finger and it tasted pretty OK, though next time more vanilla essence and a bit more sugar.
Watch this space for the tasting!