This week’s theme is Floor and Frank’s first challenge of the New Year.
I’m definitely floored coming up with an image for this week’s theme, so I’m borrowing Frank’s if that’s OK.Laminate flooring is one of two things I’m aware of that’s got the better of Hubby, mainly because although he could cope with corners and walls that weren’t straight, he couldn’t overcome a warped floor, not only from one side to the other but end to end.
We ended up just doing the main bedroom with rugs either side of the bed, but the dog got nervous with the tap-tap-tap of his claws so after a year we took it up and put down carpet tiles instead. This proved such a simple fix to smarten up the bungalow for sale that we got a job lot from a discount store and did the hall and lounge diner as well.
In the cottage, every room had carpet, was damp and musty, and the colour schemes horrendous. We decorated right the way through, ripping them all up and apart from carpeting the bedrooms, had quarry tiles throughout the property.
We laid them ourselves, and I got to be a dab hand at mixing the cement sealant using a kango drill with paddle attachment and a very big bucket. Grouting was a game as it was such a large area, even though we concentrated on one room at a time. We ended up doing it in tandem, one grouting and one wiping off the excess. It was worth it though as it was in keeping with the age of the property which had been built in 1847.
We had large rugs in the dining room and lounge and were really pleased with our efforts. The place was lovely and cool in the summer, but a bit chilly on the feet in the winter.
We came unstuck when we had a water leak in the bathroom which just happened to be under the floor, so it had to come up. Luckily we had spares to make good, but we improvised a ‘hatch’ under the vanity cabinet where all pipework joined just in case it happened again.
We were there for seven years and while it was practical, we decided we wouldn’t do it again.
My sister liked the idea of a tiled floor and after they’d had their new kitchen fitted, bought ’tiles’ in panels that slotted together like laminate flooring. They didn’t secure them though, as every time we visited we noticed they’d separated and had to be slid back together.