Hubby update

Thank you all so much for your support and kind wishes, especially when many of you have troubles of your own. I really appreciate it as it makes me feel I’m not alone.

I finally settled down for the night around 2.30, but was restless. The phone rang at 3 and it was Hubby saying he was being discharged, so I was more than eager to get dressed and collect him.
The hospital is 35 miles away, and it’s been a while since I did some night driving. It wasn’t too bad actually as the roads are pretty good and the only vehicles I saw at first were going in the same direction so I was happy to let them pass me.
I saw a muntjac deer crossing the road, and slowed down to make sure it reached the other side safely as there was no other traffic.
They are so cute, and we saw quite a few when we had our walks in the woods. There were also several rabbits out in the early hours and I saw a young fox too.

Getting nearer though, the HGVs were en route and their cabs were lit up like Christmas trees. Still, at least I wasn’t blinded by them, and arrived safely at the hospital just after  4am, parking in the twenty minutes wait drop off zone as I’d only be about ten minutes.

I went into A&E and explained who I was collecting, then was taken into the bowels of the department and a cubicle where an ashen faced shaking Hubby was wired up to monitors. He’d had an episode whilst waiting for me and they’d wasted no time in getting him back into A&E and seen immediately.
More blood was taken and more tests as they were concerned about an irregular spike in his heartbeat, and how his BP was fluctuating.
I had to move the car and they have the new Vehicle Recognition System in force now, so you don’t have to worry about getting tickets.
It was decided to keep him there for an Xray, more tests and to see a member of the cardio team in the morning, so there was no point in me staying, especially as I had Maggie in the car.

Putting my registration number into the machine was hideous! The damn keyboard insisted on printing the adjoining letter to the one I pressed, but eventually I got there and paid my £1.70. Getting back to the car I discovered Hubby’s mobile in his coat pocket, so I legged it back into A&E. Somehow I lost my woolly hat on the way.
I got home at 6am, let Maggie have a wee, and went to bed. I got in about two hours sleep.

I’ve spoken to Hubby this morning, and the tightness in his chest has gone. He’s feeling better and is now in a room on a chair rather than in a cubicle bed. The first lot of blood tests proved negative for a heart attack, but after what happened between 3 and 4 am, they ran some more. He’s had an Xray, but those results aren’t back yet either.
He sounds in better spirits, but obviously trying to keep the anxiety under control, as am I.
They may keep him in if a bed becomes available and surgery was mentioned, but we don’t know exactly what for at this stage. That is worrying to us both.

I’ve done the housework and walked the dog. The water in the lake is high and lapping over the sides. If it freezes tonight, the paths will be like ice rinks. It’s raining now and sounds like freezing rain against the glass.
I’ve cancelled Hubby’s ultrasound appointment at the other hospital and asked for it to be rescheduled, but leaving a message on an ansaphone makes me a bit twitchy so I asked them to confirm receipt of my call. So far, nothing.
I also contacted the darts team to let them know I won’t be able to chalk for them tonight and wishing them luck. If Hubby is kept in, I have Maggie to think of and can’t leave her, but if Hubby is allowed home, I don’t want him to be on his own or have him come out to pick me up at midnight if double one raises its head!

No news yet, so as it approaches lunch time, I hope they allow him something to eat.
Time to rustle up some eggs on toast I think.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary, health and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Hubby update

  1. Glad he got discharged, take care.

  2. fransiweinstein says:

    I have been thinking of you. Thankfully, if he had to have an episode he was in the hospital when it happened. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

  3. joyroses13 says:

    Oh what a roller coaster of emotions to go through! I am sorry he is still at the hospital but am very glad the episode he had, happened there and not once he got back home! Continuing to pray for both of you! Cuddle Maggie!
    I will admit I was shocked to read that they discharged him at 3am! Here you have to usually wait for the Dr. to make his morning rounds to give discharge instructions, which typically doesn’t start until 6am.

    • That’s the norm here too, but our NHS is so overstretched, if you can arrange transport, they let you go. I’m just grateful it didn’t happen in the car on the way home. My emergency stop would probably have catapulted him through the windscreen.

  4. blindzanygirl says:

    Oh MY pensitivity. Mi did not know that yoyr hubby had had an emergency again. I am so sorry and you are SO strong, dealing with all of that. I truly hope that things settle and that there is nothing really serious goung on. Right near Christmas too, and you were having such a happy time preparing for it in your own inimitable way. I know you will keep ys unfor ed as and when you can. All the very best to you both, and Maggie too. Lots of love to you xx

  5. trentpmcd says:

    Sounds like an awful night with too little sleep and too much time to worry. I hope they find something to make him better soon!

  6. Sadje says:

    Hope he gets home soon, healthy and safe.

  7. Stay strong. You have an army of positive thoughts (fellow bloggers) behind you.

  8. The Hook says:

    That meal looks delicious!
    I’m glad hubby has been discharged.
    Never forget one thing: YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE.

  9. polarflares says:

    sounds like you are soldiering through it all with eggs and dog in hand. I hope your hubby is home for the holidays.

    • Hi Joan. I collected him from the hospital yesterday so the plan now is to take things nice and easy. He slept very well last night and so far today everything has been OK.

  10. Hugs. I see from your last comment that he is home now. I’m very happy to read that.

  11. Pingback: The calm after the storm | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.