We’ve had a late start to the day as Maggie had her follow up appointment with the vet today, so I’m playing catch up on my blog this afternoon.
We were fifteen minutes early for our appointment, and could have seen the other vet, but as we wanted continuance, we declined and waited for our designated time.
The girls on reception are chatty and friendly. They are also proficient, efficient and professional in a crisis.
The phone rang, and after a couple of questions and notes, the call was disconnected. Discreetly and quietly the computer was consulted when it transpired that one, if not two dogs, had eaten rat poison.
The other vet and a nurse prepared a room and within five minutes, two frantic owners rushed in with dogs in arms and the box from which the poison came. This was taken by one of the receptionists and ingredients checked as the dogs were weighed then ushered straight into a consulting room.
Had there only been one vet available, we would gladly have let them go ahead of us, and if our vet of choice had been free, again we would have given them priority.
The surgery was thus running a little late, but not by hours, when a guy came in with a large dog. It was explained to him that they were a little behind because they’d had an emergency and there were two appointments ahead of him.
He was not pleased and left reception with his dog to wait in his car. Not knowing the circumstances of his visit, I thought his actions a little abrupt, but there you go.
Hubby used to deal with pest control and was always aware of the type of poisons he used. He said most rat poisons are warfarin based, and because everyone acted so quickly, it is likely both dogs were given a high dosage of vitamin K to counteract the effect of warfarin and they should be OK. Of course we won’t actually know as our business is concluded now until her jabs are due in March.
For Maggie though, there was one stitch that hadn’t quite dissolved so the vet removed it. She yelped but didn’t seem to hold it against him. Hubby and I had left it alone since her surgery, but the wound is healing nicely with just a little remaining swelling. We are well pleased though and know we were right to get it done. The vet seemed pleased too.
Whilst we were there, we mentioned her mishap yesterday and how we had treated it, believing it to be arthritis in her front leg that she had just caught wrong. He said that we were doing all the right things and she’s moving a lot better today, though we have given her a small dose of metacam to take the edge off any pain. Should we need some more, we can request it over the phone for collection and won’t have to see the vet as it’s already in her notes that we’ve had it before and why. Obviously though if we have any cause for concern, we’ll get her examined.
No long walks for a couple of days anyway, and she’s sleeping now.
Hopefully the other dogs are OK too.
Photo: May 2016 on the boat.