Being a dog lover, when this came on a news programme, I made a note and have come home to immediately look it up and pass it on.
A lady came on who had recently loss her dog to Xylitol poisoning, having eaten two of her home made brownies. She had substituted Xylitol for sugar, having read it was good for humans and calorie control.
Whilst it might be good for us, it is toxic to dogs.
I found this article which confirms what was said on the radio today (source)
Maggie has a sweet tooth, she loves buns (we make sure there are no currants or sultanas), homemade cake, and whatever else might be going off our plates.
I don’t use sweeteners in my cooking but as there are artificial sweeteners in a lot of mass produced confections, be it chewing gum, peanut butter, sweets, or cakes, please check the labels and be aware that it won’t take much to make your dog poorly, or worse.
Thanks for reading.