DOG POISONING WARNING

Being a dog lover, when this came on a news programme, I made a note and have come home to immediately look it up and pass it on.
A lady came on who had recently loss her dog to Xylitol poisoning, having eaten two of her home made brownies. She had substituted Xylitol for sugar, having read it was good for humans and calorie control.
Whilst it might be good for us, it is toxic to dogs.
I found this article which confirms what was said on the radio today (source)

Maggie has a sweet tooth, she loves buns (we make sure there are no currants or sultanas), homemade cake, and whatever else might be going off our plates.
I don’t use sweeteners in my cooking but as there are artificial sweeteners in a lot of mass produced confections, be it chewing gum, peanut butter, sweets, or cakes, please check the labels and be aware that it won’t take much to make your dog poorly, or worse.
Thanks for reading.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in animals and pets, Dogs, health and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to DOG POISONING WARNING

  1. Mws R says:

    Important information, thanks for sharing this

  2. scifihammy says:

    Thank you for the heads up.
    I don’t use sweetener either, but LM eats Anything she can sink her teeth into, so it’s as well to be aware.

  3. Reblogged this on pensitivity101 and commented:

    For dog owners everywhere (I’m not sure about cats, but take care anyway)
    Sascha Darlington has brought this to our attention again.
    please read her post and check out the links
    https://saschadarlington.me/2019/07/14/this-common-sugar-substitute-can-be-deadly-for-dogs-fda-warns/

Comments are closed.