Swings and roundabouts, ups and downs, income and outgoings.
Hubby and I are destined never to be rich, but things do have a way of balancing out.
I had yet another email from the energy company today which had me reaching for the phone again.
Having given them accurate meter readings, they revised my bill and my monthly payment is still being reduced, but to £46 pm not £40 as originally discussed last week.
What put me in a panic is that they are going to refund our credit balance in full, so I will have no kitty in reserve starting the winter months.
However, this current bill has been taken into account and my normal payment is going out this week with the reduced one coming into effect in September. By the time our next bill comes around in November, we will have amassed £152 with a usage of about £90 for the quarter so we can begin again. Our electricity is working out at about 2.5 kwh per day so our annual usage will be almost half what it was in the cottage. Our heating will be a little more complicated, at present just one and a half cubic meters a week, but we shall see, and I can always pay in a lump sum if we owe them rather than carry a debt over.
We took Maggie to the vet today as she has still been scratching a lot, though we can’t see anything when we brush her or check the area she’s been bothering.
Seems the OTC treatments we have been using on her are not strong enough and she has the F word, all be it tiny ones, as the vet found ‘droppings’ in her fur which our nit comb had missed! Bugger!!
So, a jab to help stop the itching and 6 ‘Stronghold’ pipettes have set us back £95, and if she’s still scratching in a couple of months, we’re to take her back.
We went to a different surgery today but within the same practice chain, and they only have the one vet. Like the one here, the staff are very pleasant, but what we noticed was the familiarity between them and their clients. The vet himself was also nice, not exactly a people person, but he was good with Maggie and that’s what’s important.
Only one vet means continuance of care, and whilst we are not knocking our practice here at all, it is unusual for Maggie to see the same vet twice unless we specifically request it and are prepared to wait a few days. Getting an appointment here on the same day is impossible unless it is a dire emergency.
This other surgery is only 17 miles away, and the sat nav took us on a route that took only 25 minutes, so it’s a doable option.
We have been continuing our treatments of the house and hoovering every day anyway, but will again have to up the ante with this new turn of events and hopefully see light at the end of the smoggy tunnel before too long.
As I said in an earlier post, I’m getting just a tad tired of things going wrong, especially when it’s through no fault of ours, or Maggie’s for that matter.