A day in my life

How does your day start?
Or should I ask when?
Is it when you get up in the morning, or in the early hours when someone, or something, gets you up?

We had a relatively early night last night, but I was awake at midnight, again at 2.30 and Maggie got me up at 5 desperate for a wee and a poo.
It was a beautiful morning, the sun sleepily stirring and about to break the horizon, but I didn’t see it exactly as I was still in my nightie and Maggie was in the garden.
Photo from 5th August

She was gracious enough to let me go back to bed and I slept until just after 7.
Hubby was stirring then, so we both got washed and dressed and took her out for her first walk of the day.
It was refreshing and cool, nice to walk in the sun but come into shade, and it was a bit nippy! We saw a couple of other walkers, but other than that, it was quiet.

We both commented on how deserted the lake was, seeing only a handful of ducks and a dozen geese, so I guess the party they were preparing for last night was a success. Can you imagine about a hundred geese with hangovers? Could this be your Grartor party Michael?

Plans today are, as usual, not much, basics like housework and cleaning, the washing is already out, and I’ve prepared the veg for our chop dinner today. This will be our sixth meal with our own beans. I could eat them every day and not grow tired of them.

I baked yesterday. Second cake of the oven. It’s an experiment to see if it is flour or yeast that is affecting Hubby’s digestion. We are still doing a process of elimination, but it’s a long job.

Despite my lining the baking tins, it still caught on the one side. Still rather that than open the oven door to turn it and it goes as flat as a pancake. It’ll taste OK, but if not, there’s always Plan B (cover it with custard).


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, miscellaneous, My life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A day in my life

  1. TanGental says:

    Now cake experiments! I’m your man!!

    • Ha Geoff! You’ll be second in line as Hubby is my chief taster. When I made sweets at Christmas, my carpet was covered in trays of truffles, marzipan, coconut ice, liqueur cherries, fondant rolls, etc, and Hubby tasted them all (we didn’t have a dog then).

  2. stevetanham says:

    Frequently up in the wee small hours with Tess, so I understand that well! The cake looks delicious…

    • I’ve been taking painkillers for my back and they usually affect my kidneys. Maggie can be restless too, but I’d rather she got me up than have an accident indoors. She can be extremely persistent. How is Tess these days? We’ve got fireworks for the next couple of weekends, and I though of her last week.
      Will let readers know the outcome of our experiment.

  3. Paula Light says:

    I wake early, around 5am, and start reading news and blogs on my phone. Sometimes I’ll fall back to doze for a bit. I guess I consider my day started when I get out of bed.

    • I found I slept the heaviest between 5.30 and 7.30 on the boat. It’s different in a house, but I think my day really starts when i get out of bed, have had my wash and got dressed and out walking the dog, which I usually do before breakfast.

  4. fransiweinstein says:

    It looks delicious, don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Comments are closed.