Journey from hell

To put things simply, we could not have timed this more badly.
Hubby had an INR appointment this morning, after which we decided to have a few days away with MOH.
It’s the first time we’ve attempted anything longer than an hour’s duration since the DVT problems that manifested themselves when we went down to the funeral.

We set off at 10.30 totally confident of our route, after all, I had it all written down on a piece of paper in the car……………….. not.
Hubby has cleaned the car inside and out since and had a tidy up. The map book has also been binned, so we were now totally reliant on the SatNav, which had a thing about wanting us to go on the motorways. There are major roadworks on the M4, M5 and M32, surprisingly all three en route a la SatNav.
No matter, I was pretty sure of where we were going, even if we had disagreed at the first major junction.

After thirty minutes, we changed drivers and I drove for about an hour. We did this in relays with fifteen minutes potty breaks/stretch of legs each time we stopped.
Hitting the Lincoln bypass, we passed the biggest traffic jam I’ve seen in a long time going in the opposite direction.
It did not bode well for us coming back, nor did it help when we then started to hit roadworks on our side.
At least we got through the first set of lights relatively quickly.

We followed a mobile home for about 30 miles. No, not a caravan or camper van, one of those huge mobile bungalows that was being delivered to wherever and it took up the entire width of the dual carriageway, so no-one could get by (not that it was actually hanging around).
We had to stop for a break though and took a good half hour as Hubby was suffering. Maggie had been extremely good so far, bless her.
By the time we got back on the road, the mobile unit had gone but we hit everything else and lost valuable time, and patience.
Needing to stop later, all lay bys on our side were closed, and the service station was service-less as the garage and shop attached were shut.
Knowing we could get a Subway just after we crossed over the M4, we carried on. We couldn’t find it, and ended up in a supermarket superstore for a sandwich and much needed cup of tea. We’d been on the road for over 6 hours.

I was driving again, Hubby having had to take one of his major bomb painkillers, and I took a wrong turn. Nothing too drastic as we were able to turn off and pick up the right road again. We were behind a couple of idiots who didn’t know where the gas pedal or indicator switch was, and being unfamiliar roads, I couldn’t overtake them.
We were extremely relieved when both turned off, only to notice a tractor holding three bales of hay aloft turn out of a side road in front of us.
It just was not fair!

I now recognised where I was, having previously lost all sense of direction, distance and time, and we finally pulled into MOH’s drive at 6pm.
Bless him, there were two huge mugs of tea waiting.
We have not done much this evening apart from catch up on the news.
Maggie is exhausted and curled up on the bed between us, Hubby is equally shattered and the painkiller is wearing off, and I’m also tired, but my mind is going twenty to the dozen.

Hopefully we’ll all sleep well and I can catch up with everything tomorrow……… maybe!
Photo: MOH and me taken in the quarry, June 2015


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary, friends and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Journey from hell

  1. foguth says:

    The older I get, the less I like traveling …. and I detest traffic jams. Hope tomorrow is a MUCH better day.

  2. tidalscribe says:

    Cyberspouse always grumbles that I think of all the negative things that might happen on our journeys… ‘With good reason’ I retort.

  3. Michael says:

    Traffic jams I never liked either. When I was working I had a 40 – 45 min drive from home to work but if there was an accident it could a 90 min drive so if I knew earlier I’d take a different route that added 20 mins to the drive but that was ok as I always hated having to stop. There was one set of lights that allowed people to enter and exit a McDonald’s restaurant and I always begrudged stopping to allow people to get a big Mac.

    • Ah, it was a supermarket that paid for the lights (into their complex and after getting the necessary planning permission for extentions that had previously been refused) on the roundabout where we lived in Poole. I worked two miles away, not on a direct bus route, so had to drive as walking wasn’t an option either. I started at 8.30 and it would take me 10 minutes as I’d leave just after 8 to miss major traffic build up and the school runs. I’d finish at 5 and it could take me almost an hour to travel those same two miles. Said roundabout was always gridlocked.

  4. scifihammy says:

    Sounds an awful trip! How nice to be welcomed with cups of tea 🙂
    I think there is just too much traffic on the roads, at any time of day, all over the world. Certainly true over here.

Comments are closed.