Seven Hours On

Following on from my previous post (and thank you all so much for your positive thoughts) both of us managed to get a few hours sleep, including the dog who curled up behind my knees which is always reassuring for me.
Hubby was up at 6 as normal, so she snuggled into the vacated warm spot and I snoozed on until about 7.30.

We walked the dog then came back for breakfast.
Hubby had been checking out a route Down South before I got up avoiding roadworks and closed motorways. It can be tweaked if necessary, but he will be checking it daily until we think it sensible to attempt the journey. It will take at least 6 hours, plus potty breaks and driver changes so you can add another hour or two on top of that.
We can either go to MOH if he’s fit, stay over, then travel to see Mum, return back to MOH for a couple of days then come home.
Or we can go straight to see Mum and go on to MOH to stay a couple of days before coming home.
It all depends on the weather and how well MOH sounds so that we don’t run the risk of taking his bug down to her.

Mum has had the doc visit today and according to a text from Sis, Mum is much brighter. I’ve just spoken to the home. The doctor has said there’s no cause for worry as her stats are good and Mum’s resting now. She is on blood thinners to prevent the possibility of DVTs, and will be having another scan tomorrow. This is at the doctor’s surgery as they have their own scanner, not the hospital as Sis had led us to believe.
Apparently Mum’s legs are very swollen, and that is getting her down due to the pain and the bad one being strapped up. They are moving her to another room in the next day or so. The one she had overlooking the garden has three steps going down into it which she can’t manage, and so she’s been in one of their temporary rooms for a week or so. This new room is on the ground floor, has easier accessibility for a wheelchair and is slightly bigger with a better bathroom.
It doesn’t have a view, but by all accounts, Mum hasn’t been spending a lot of time in her room anyway, taking her meals with everyone else in the dining room and sitting in the lounge with the other residents. This is great news to me because it means she is involved with her surroundings and the people around her rather than shutting herself away.
This is all extremely positive and reassuring as Mum is being well cared for.

We rang the Collection Agency this morning. It would appear the person they are chasing owes rather a lot of money and they have no address for them other than ours.
We explained about the property being empty when we first viewed it, though we understood from neighbours that the previous occupant were tenants.
We’ve received several items in the mail from credit card suppliers, banks and even hospital correspondence to the parent or guardian of a minor. We’ve returned them all R.T.S (Return to Sender), and marked the envelope ‘Not at this Address’.
Hubby has since checked the electoral roll and there is a fee payable to see if they are registered so we’ve scuppered that idea.
It reminds me a bit of our first house which had been blacklisted for bad debt.
It too was empty when we bought it, being a repossession and unoccupied for almost a year. Someone forgot to secure the cat flap and the carpets stank so had to be replaced.
According to the Credit Checks we ran on ourselves when we were constantly denied credit, there were six other people living in our one bedroom house at the same time as us.

I suppose in a way there’s an obtuse moral to this:
Don’t buy an empty house!

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in current events, diary, Family, health and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Seven Hours On

  1. foguth says:

    I hope you get the collection company issue as well as health issues sorted out.
    Down the street, a house was vacant for many months (as far as we knew, the owner passed, then squatters moved in. Of course, squatters nave no investment, so the house was looking quite trashy.) Finally, we heard it was up for auction & someone in the neighborhood got it – he figured he could get the squatters out, then clean up & repair. He figured this would improve the entire neighborhood (IMHO, he was correct). Then sell the house to someone who would keep it up.
    WELL, his plan almost worked.
    And I’m hoping it still does, but there has been a huge snag: once the house was repaired and sparkling, he put it on the market & got a fair bid, which would let him break even.
    BUT the sale hasn’t gone through because apparently there was a 2nd owner — the auction company had verified the title was clear, etc. Not quite true. The other owner is in jail and he has a lien against the house for 60K…. mega mess!
    Hopefully, whatever you’re now dealing with doesn’t seem quite so bad by comparison.

    • I hope the house issue in question at your end gets sorted out OK.
      We should be fine as the people on the transfer deeds were the original owners and they had a joint mortgage against it which was cleared when the sale went through. In respect of the other property issue, we signed a declaration that we had purchased the house directly from the building society who had repossessed it and did not know the other people shown to live at the property when there was no way they could.

      • foguth says:

        Perhaps they were squatters, like the ones in the local house. Here, in FL, where a significant percentage of the houses are ‘winter homes for snowbirds’, and thus vacant, but furnished about half the time, squatters can be a huge problem.

      • We understand the previous occupants were bonefide tenants as they owed the landlords (the people we purchased from) several months rent. Apparently they had been tenants for over 8 years.
        In our first house however, we believe the property was used as an ‘accommodation address’ as it was empty.

      • foguth says:

        Illegal ‘tenants’ create problems everywhere.

  2. I’m glad you managed some sleep, and it sounds like there is some better news with the morning, which is good to hear.

Comments are closed.