We missed a probably perfect-for-us property by 12 hours.
The estate agent sent us the email when details were released, I responded immediately, rang the following day for a viewing to be told that at 9.10 an offer had been made and accepted. The property had been available for less than a day before it was snapped up.
We can’t cope with that.
In fact, we can’t cope or compete with it. We don’t have a chance being so far away, and as Hubby rightly says, £200 a week B&B to property search plus fuel isn’t cost-effective.
I’m angry, I’m worried, and sick to the eye teeth how once again things are conspiring against us. It’s 2014 all over again, and headlines that house prices are on the rise by £10K do not help, especially as it is a bloody lie because prices were actually falling.
We cannot stay here indefinitely. It is not fair on MSM, and it is not right.
I’ve been up since 6 when I took the dog out, though I’d been awake for hours beforehand. I slept hardly at all last night, my mind going nineteen to the dozen.
I could not switch off, and anxiety is kicking in big time.
We should be making plans to be moving into a new home by now, but we are no nearer to having one than when we sold the boat 12 weeks ago.
We have viewed over a thousand properties on the internet, have physically been inside more than 40, done drive bys on at least another 10, and come close to purchase twice.
No way were we going to take it on trust that a lease would be surrendered after we’d forked out money for buying, and being gazumped on the other really p155ed me off.
In the very early days of our search we viewed a property which was a little tired, but way too big for us. It had three bedrooms, a separate dining room, kitchen and lounge, plus a conservatory. The bathroom was downstairs, but the main 2 bedrooms upstairs (the third only fit for a study or work room), thus it would’ve been awkward getting up in the middle of the night, so we would’ve been relying on the good old-fashioned chamber pot under the bed. Also the stairs were steep and shallow, so they would’ve played hell with Hubby’s leg issues.
Last night, I lay awake thinking about that house. Thinking about making the dining room a downstairs master bedroom, and eventually putting a bathroom upstairs by reducing the size of the largest bedroom. Thinking about making a phone call to the agents this morning to see if it was still available (which it is on the internet).
Hubby tried to check out the tenure. There is no record of it with land registry.
What he did find though was, according to its marketing history, that it has been on the market since 2010, yes SEVEN YEARS, originally purchased for £150K and has since been reduced to £120K. For a property to be up for sale for that length of time when at the moment houses are being sold within days, stinks of something amiss.
So even THAT is not for us, as just the land registry thing could hold up any sale, and then there’s the question of possibly needing planning permission to make the changes, and of course the cost involved as we would have to employ contractors for major work.
It had very little garden, and what was there was concrete, so no grass for Maggie, but we could’ve got round that by raising a platform and turfing it.
Hubby has now decided to go it alone.
My job is to stay here and continue to check out properties, make viewing appointments area by area, and relay the information to him.
It’s not that I don’t trust him to find a home for us, but I am anxious with the travelling and that I won’t be there to share the driving. He says he can ‘rough it’ and get cheap lodgings easier on his own than with me and the dog in tow.
I am worried he won’t eat right.
I am concerned about the pain I know he will suffer.
I am anxious he won’t find anything quickly.
And scared of what will happen if he doesn’t.