I am not a patient person. At all.
It is one of my many failings, but there are times when even I surprise myself.
MSM and I have been working on a puzzle for the last three weeks.
I confess I have not really put my mind to it, but we managed to get the bottom half done leaving just the top which was a mass of greenery interspersed with a flash of sky and little else to home in on.
The cut pattern was also closely repeated, so it was no wonder we had a lot of pieces left over that didn’t fit anywhere. On top of that, one piece appeared to be definitely missing, and MSM was all for putting it back in the box until she discovered 2 flowers upside down, and the shape of the ‘missing piece’ didn’t exist. I filled in the slot easily.
I am not one to give up, and asked her not to put it back in the box on the assumption that a piece was missing just because we couldn’t finish it.
I have needed something mundane and repetitive to distract me from the disappointments of our househunting expeditions.
Three nights ago, I sat quietly on my own, sorting the remaining pieces by shape into separate trays. I only needed two, but the puzzle has proven to be a swine.
I managed on night one to correct four misplaced pieces and fit in a few more.
On night two, I had rebuilt an entire corner having discovered a row of three pieces and another of five that went together, but not where we’d put them.
Painstakingly, I tried each piece in similar shaped spaces but only managed to fit three or four.
This morning, we counted 58 spaces, and 58 pieces left, but nothing fitted anywhere.
MSM had a go, and mixed up pieces I have already discarded, thus throwing my ‘system’ into disarray, but her thought processes were on a similar course to mine.
So this afternoon, I have got stuck in and tried piece by piece working one line at a time.
Pieces that fitted together but not where I was trying, I kept to one side.
I found pieces fitted on one side but not the other, which transpired that those already in place were wrong.
It has taken me most of the afternoon, but it is finally finished, all pieces present and correct.
We have now started another one, and judging by the amount of blue, that is also going to be a bit of a game. Saying that though, the edge had been completed within an hour, so you never know.
Both of these are 1000 pieces.
I have already selected the next challenge, although it is only 500.