Two goalposts passed

positivityAnother positive day today.
I drove the car to test for comfort and ability, and had a shower!
Doesn’t sound like much really, but it was two firsts after surgery, and I passed!

Getting behind the wheel wasn’t an issue, and the seatbelt wasn’t as intrusive or restrictive as we thought it might be. I did have a major problem though, and that was closing the damn door as I had to stretch! Soon got that sussed though, and pulled it towards me the next time as I was getting in.
Driving itself was OK, as I adopted the 5 to 7 position rather than 10 to 2.
However, having to turn the wheel to nip smartly into a parking space doesn’t work, so as with the boat, manoeuvres are best made slowly. Reversing out of said space was OK provided no-one decided to race me or come round the corner causing me to hit the brake. It was actually a pedestrian and trolley that blindsided me, so jarring of the right side was a little ow-ish.
Still, I am confident enough to drive a short distance.

daffy duckShower.
Oh heaven, the thought of having a shower was practically the first thing in my head when I woke up this morning.
It was too cold first thing (temperatures went down to minus 2 last night) so I decided to wait until later in the day.
Hubby offered to come up and wait just in case, but I told him it was OK, though if I wasn’t back in half an hour as I didn’t have to wash my hair, he could come and check up on me.

It was a challenge.
I adjusted the shower head to be just below chest level, as the nurse yesterday had said it was OK but ‘not to linger’.
The pole came apart, and my plastic bottle of shower gel fell on the floor. Terrific.
I got sorted and climbed in, having a little peek and a touch of my wound.
The bruises are quite psychedelic in their brown/purple/blue/yellow kind of way, and yes, I am tender. But it all looks good to me, and I’m relieved.
Taking the shower head out of the bracket, the shower gel fell on the floor again. I hope when they revamp the shower blocks they think to put little toiletry trays in the cubicles.
I swore.
There’s not a lot of space, and it pinches when I bend down sometimes, but I managed to pick it up, have a squeeze and get on with the business at hand.
Getting dry and dressed again wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
As The Girls had been allowed their first taste of freedom for a while sotospeak, I’m glad I’d managed to do my bra up on my own yesterday when the dressing came off, so had already had a trial run. Also, the ‘behind the back’ exercises had helped.
Everything else was easy, apart from my socks which I couldn’t put on as it was impossible to sit down and stretch out sufficiently to do so.
As things turned out, I was back in the boat after twenty five minutes, so felt rather pleased with myself.
successSimple stuff, but it’s taken it out of me.



About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and have a terrible sweet tooth. Best friends are Hubby, our dog Maggie, Bro in NZ, MSM and MOH (and his dog). I am also a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! Due to a nightmare of a house sale in 2014, 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat until April 2017. We made strong friendships both on and off the water, and enjoyed swan and duck families for neighbours. Sadly times change and we were once again house hunting until September. We now reside in a small bungalow a short distance from the beach on the Lincolnshire coast.
This entry was posted in diary, health, My life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Two goalposts passed

  1. foguth says:

    If someone has never endured surgery, they have no idea how close to heaven a shower can be… did your surgeon use a laundry marker to write on you? I had the worst time getting that blue ink off!

    • My surgeon dotted me up with a flourish and black marker! Hubby was able to get most of it off, but it was the solution they bathed me with in theatre that proved problematic in removal. All gone now I think. Either that or I have a lop sided sun tan!

  2. Ritu says:

    You go girl!!!!

  3. I remember the first full shower after two weeks. It was heaven. For my thumb surgery, both the doc and I had to put our initials on the correct thumb. Silly me, I thought it would wash off. Not so. I had the stupid initials on for almost a month.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s