On the way back from our walk into town this morning, we dropped in to see MSM (Maggie’s Surrogate Mummy) and enjoyed a cup of tea with her and a couple of her friends.
Maggie was on her best
scrounging behaviour, and once she’d had a bit of rich tea biscuit and was given the hands up sign for ‘all gone’, she eventually settled down under my chair.
Naturally we got on to the subject of pets and their antics, and some of the stories about MSM’s whippet had us in stitches.
Image from google showing you the difference between greyhounds and whippets.
We have always been grateful that Maggie has never pinched, unlike Barney who nicked a piece of toast (unbuttered) and on another occasion an uncooked pork chop off the kitchen worktop when no-one was looking.
When I was living in the Bath area, my GSD pinched the drumstick out of the Christmas turkey and ‘blamed’ the rough collie who had the bone sticking out of his mouth.
Most of us as dog owners know that there are certain things our pets must avoid, and I learned the hard way that peanuts, however yummy a dog may find them, are one of them.
By all accounts, MSM’s dog was a notorious pincher, and it was always something she should never have, most times of which she ended up down at the vet for treatment.
She got a whiff of the sunflower seeds in the wild bird food, and helped herself.
She discovered a box of chocolates, and after hiding the box, left intact but empty wrappers all over the floor.
When the workmen were in after the floods, they were warned to keep their food out of her reach. One guy came into the kitchen and said the dog had eaten his sandwiches……….. after opening the sealed plastic box they were in first.
Another time MSM shot a painkiller into the air out of its packet, and before she could retrieve it from the floor, the dog had swallowed it.
Biscuits, cakes, anything edible was more than likely to find its way into the dog’s stomach if left unattended.
Which brings me to the title of this post.
After sampling the delights of butter rich short crust pastry, the dog was rushed to the vet.
MSM received a phone call asking the above question.
She replied she didn’t know, to which the response was
‘So far we’ve counted 52.’
This dog was very loved and well cared for.
Sadly she died early last year from a cancer related illness at the age of 14.