River Trip 2016: Part Six

Our aim for the day was to stop at Pershore for supplies (there is a large supermarket within walking distance of the moorings), then go through the lock and stay at Comperton for the night. We were also hoping to meet up with some friends who were coming up river for a few days.

Digital Camera

Offenham August 2015 (us on left)

However, we had several locks to go through before then, so set off just after 8.15.
Hubby had checked for leaks, and all looked OK.

Our first lock was Evesham, which was about an hour away.
I was at the helm and the forecast was for really hot weather.
We’d already fished out our sun hats, but our arms were striped through wearing various style tee shirts as we caught the sun.
One could say then that we had a healthy glow/partial tan (read red noses and starting to peel).

As we approached the lock, we could see that the gates were against us, yet two narrow boats had just come out.

Unlike the canals where both sets of gates are to be left closed after exit, lock gates on the river should be left open with the paddles down.

As the second boat pulled away, we asked if there was a problem, but the guy just nodded behind him and shrugged his shoulders.
Hubby dropped me off, and as there was no-one coming up river, I tried to open the gates. They were too heavy for me, and it turned out that one of the paddles on the exit gate had been left open.
Hubby got off and took over the lock, so it was up to me to take the boat in.
The same Official from our ‘Up’ journey was on duty, but made no effort to help us, and it now made sense that he had probably told the previous boaters to close the gates!

After a struggle, we got our act together, locked down, and I picked Hubby up on the other side. We decided to give Maggie a potty break, so pulled over opposite the gardens as we’d done on the way up.
As I walked Maggie to do the business, Hubby checked the engine bay and we still had a small leak.
It was getting so hot, Maggie didn’t want to get back on board, and now we had a potential problem. On feeling around, Hubby discovered that one of the jubilee clips wasn’t as tight as it should have been and so got some tools out and set to work.

Half an hour later we were on our way again.
The weather was glorious, the temperature in the boat approaching 40º.

hemmed inThat’s me legging it across the bridge at Fladbury.
lock downThe view behind us having locked down and ready to exit.

The diamond-shaped lock follows this one, and it turned out that some people were already manning the gates as their cruiser was tied up waiting to go in as two boats were coming out.
We don’t normally like to share with a much smaller vessel than us in case we crush them, but as we could each take a side with a big gap between us, there was no problem at all.
I did our share of the lock this time.
lookoutWe stopped and shopped at Pershore as intended, and I made a chicken curry as we took a breather.
We gave Maggie some quality time playing with a ball and made sure she had a long drink.
We’d heard from our friends and they were planning on mooring at Pershore that night. It was therefore more than likely that we would pass on the river.
pershore recPhoto: Pershore 2015

We were on our way again by 3.25,  Hubby having checked the engine bay which was now completely dry.

Locking down at Pershore is so much easier than locking up, and we were through it by 3.45.
Comperton and a peaceful night were just an hour away. We had everything open, though Maggie now came up on the helm with us and settled down in the corner where a little shade was provided by the skirt cover.
As we came round the corner, we saw our friends berthed on the last mooring, then noticed with dismay that there were already two other narrowboats there for the night, and no room for us.
We pulled alongside our friends, had a brief conversation, and then decided to press on for home. We were only two locks away, and calculated a timeframe of about 3 hours.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, life afloat, lifestyle, nature, observations, Voyages and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to River Trip 2016: Part Six

  1. colinandray says:

    That first pic looks like a rather busy canal section with boats moored both sides! Not too much room down the middle!! 🙂

    • This was taken last year and there were boats moored on both sides on the designated overnight moorings . The lock entrance narrows approaching the gates, and I took the picture from the access bridge, so it’s deceptive.

  2. stevetanham says:

    Really enjoying the ride!

Comments are closed.