Hubby lifted the back boards to check on the coolant pipes and discovered some serious drippage in the bilge.
He had already replaced one hose last year, and true to form, it was now the other that was giving us the problem.
We had hoped to make it home before having to do a repair, but with at least two more days travelling and heat which was becoming almost unbearable even when mobile, we couldn’t risk it.
One of the good things about living on a boat is that you have no packing to do if you go away. Therefore, the tool kit was aboard, as was the remainder of the pipe used in the previous job. Hubby had anticipated the possibility of having to change the other, so had originally over ordered.
From what we could remember from last time, it had been relatively straightforward to change the pipe with just a minimum of ‘gushage’ without having to drain everything down and we had plenty of elephant bog roll to mop up.
We emptied both coolant bottles, and Hubby disconnected the top of the pipe.
The replacement flex was easily accessible, and all he had to do was pull off the old one and put his finger over the plug, then put the new one on.
In a confined space and needing at least four hands to work, disconnect, hold and push, it was a game.
Things were not going very well, the new pipe wouldn’t stretch easily to go over the stud and he ended up putting the old pipe back on, holding up the open end and tying it into position temporarily. Hair scrunchies are multi-purpose!
After a few unwanted spillages, we had to empty the radiator completely and were surprised at just how much liquid the damn thing held! Luckily, our bucket was just big enough.
After that, everything worked for us, and we soon had it all back together.
We cleared up, made sure everything was dry, then put some blue bog roll down so that we could easily see if we still had a drip.
You can see the two coolant bottles at the bottom of the picture here. Keeping our engine bay clean means we can see leakage problems immediately. That’s Hubby balancing himself on the right, and the door into the boat on the left (hazard tape).
It had taken us almost four hours.
Neither of us were really hungry, so we had a quick sandwich, packed up the rubbish, and took the dog for a walk.
There were several tents in the camping field adjacent to the lock, and we heard the strains of TVs being run from car batteries. Other than the water and elsan points, there are no facilities here, but it is a popular place to fish and we understand there is an excellent pub within easy walking distance be you a camper or boater.
The moon was full and reflected beautifully in the water, but none of the pictures came out, which was a shame.
We ended up sleeping (or trying to) with the bow doors open at the front and the hatch open at the back, but were still hot and uncomfortable.
Tomorrow was going to be another scorcher.
Takes a lot of work to keep things shipshape, but you plan very well so were prepared. Pity about the moon photos, but we can imagine how lovely it was, especially after all that hard work! 🙂
I was disappointed they didn’t come out, even with a better quality camera.
Your husband is so handy! We are also in a heat wave. We have started a stretch of 9 days of 90+ degree weather (not sure what that is in Celsius but it’s HOT). Very unusual weather for us. Hope you get some good breezes to cool down.
I was told he was useful and to keep him. Best advice ever!!