River Trip 2016: Part Four

We left Stratford at midday on Saturday, and trying to get down to the first lock was like playing water skittles and chicken with visitors in rowing boats.
It was ridiculous that no-one seemed to see us coming (41 feet of bright blue boat weighing in at 6 tons plus was hardly invisible!) and merrily continued across our path.
Hubby blew our horn and scared the living daylights out of one rower, who panicked, so we reduced power to almost a standstill to give them a chance to decide which way they were going to go to get out of our way.
Colin P Witter view 3At the first lock, (Colin Witter: photo 2015), we always seem to attract an audience, and this time we had a party of students who wanted to help. Hubby gave one a mental sum to do, and when he explained to him that he had just calculated filling the lock with 42,044 gallons of water, the group was stunned.
As they left, a group of Americans took their place, and were fascinated how the locks worked. No offers of help here, but I wasn’t too worried as this is one of the easier locks to operate.

As we were exiting, a commercial widebeam restaurant boat arrived to come down river, so we were hoping we would be able to get through the next lock before they caught up. Sadly it was not to be as the gates were against us, so by the time we’d filled it to enter, they chugged up behind us, so we let them go ahead. They had a schedule to keep, but the lads helped with the gates and paddles as they exited for us.

coming home leg 1We arrived in Luddington at 2pm, and there was no-one else there, so we were looking forward to a peaceful night.
Last year on both visits, we had a family of swans come calling, but there wasn’t a single one here this year. We did have a mother duck with 2 ducklings who were far from timid and practically rushed to meet us when we berthed.
luddingtonRemembering about white bread, I threw in a handful of porridge oats which seemed to go down very well, but we didn’t overdo it.
luddington babies babiesWe like Luddington.
There is an apology notice for having no shop or pub, but there is water and an elsan point, and you’re not too far from the pretty little village if you fancy a short and flat walk.

Hubby decided to put his head down, so I got rid of the rubbish and took Maggie for a walk on my own.
Coming back to the boat, we were joined by a grey furball that looked like a cross between a greyhound and a wire-haired terrier. He decided to follow us home, then heard his owners call and was off like a rocket. They were just going through the lock and probably hadn’t realised he’d got off to explore.

We had cold chicken salad for our evening meal, and settled down for a game of scrabble.
We could hear music and laughter in the distance which was getting closer and inwardly groaned.
So much for a quiet evening.
What drew up behind us was a floating hen party.

Dressed in black outfits and pink wigs, 30 odd females staggered off amidst giggles and glasses of champers. The bunny girl wasn’t the bride, but she wanted her picture taken at the wheel.
bunny girlA couple of the girls came over for a chat about our boat, making a fuss of Maggie at the same time. The bride had trotted off to the other side of the lock with a group of her friends, and by all accounts the wedding wasn’t until the middle of August. They were certainly a merry lot out for some fun on a girlie night with a difference.
hen chicksAbout half an hour after their arrival, the restaurant boat arrived and berthed in the lock entrance so that their passengers could get off and look around. It was quite amusing to see so many people in evening dress with the pink wig brigade singing and swinging their wine glasses in the background.

Both wide beams left together around 9pm, leaving us alone with the ducks and to walk Maggie for her final wee before we retired for the night.
It had been quite an eventful day!


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, life afloat, lifestyle, narrow boat, nature, Voyages and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to River Trip 2016: Part Four

  1. scifihammy says:

    Always interesting to read about your trips and all the things you encounter on the way. 🙂

  2. colinandray says:

    I had to laugh at your indecisive rowers because I meet them everyday on our roads. They have no concept of anything that is happening around them… no wonder there are so many accidents!

Comments are closed.