Not another one!

I tried to make an appointment to see my GP Monday 16th May having had a bad nosebleed the day before. The first available routine appointment was June 6th.
I asked for an emergency appointment. No such thing UNLESS YOU RING UP ON THE DAY’. I was AT the surgery practically before the phone lines opened.
I could see another doctor, but I said I wanted to see the same GP who has been treating me and added that I would be happy to wait if necessary. No chance, and the best the witch of a receptionist could give me was the GP to call me on Thursday (ie tomorrow).

4.20 and I wanted hubby to do a detour to the surgery so that I could BLEED PROFUSELY ALL OVER THE RECEPTION DESK.

I had been bleeding for well over ten minutes and it was getting worse, so Hubby decided to get me to hospital.  But as I was really in trouble, he stopped at the ambulance station up the road, which was closed, though the telephone operator came out to help, but couldn’t do much apart from dressings and a nose clamp which kept falling off.

Actually, the hospital wasn’t that far away (8-10 miles), but that time of night, poor Hubs hit major traffic and it was after 5 before we arrived, despite him calling 999 for an escort rather than an ambulance as we needed to get through the gridlock.
Even the doc in A&E couldn’t stop the flow, and when they wanted to take blood, I said take it out of the bucket. The first sample from my hand was OK-ish, but getting a second an hour later was impossible and I had a funny fit, nearly passing out then choking on blood clots which were coming quick and fast. Still the nose continued to bleed.
The Doc packed it (OUCH, lots) and it was decided to keep me in overnight.
I suppose I was bleeding for around 2 hours, and had lost well over a litre.

Sadly it didn’t stop there.
I was still leaking and the balloon plug was saturated but they didn’t want to remove it. I looked very glamorous I’m sure, and so they decided to give me a matching one the other side to put extra pressure on (double OUCH, megga lots).
During the night, I had difficulty breathing, started to hyperventilate and they had to put me on oxygen. I had a mammoth headache and toothache, and the painkillers they gave me didn’t do anything. I ended up having a liquid shot of morphine, and finally got some sleep.

The consultant (a foreign lady) said I had high blood pressure and had had an internal bleed (you don’t say). Luckily the doc who’d attended to me in A&E was there to fill her in with the full details.
I finally got fed at 11am and had my first cup of tea at 2pm, after they’d removed the secondary plug, and a couple of hours after that they deflated the balloon but kept the packing in place.
Still no bleeding after my cuppa, so it was down to the treatment room an hour or so later to be unplugged and cauterised.

I was finally to be released at 7pm, but not before I’d noticed the implications on the release form that I was a battered wife with bruises, wounds and cigarette burns on my body, taking drugs and an alcoholic, and had a husband with whom I had a bad uncaring relationship so they would be arranging a social services visit!
I soon put that right, bloody admin and their tick lists.
That put my blood pressure back up too!!!

Note (i):
Friends had Maggie Monday afternoon and early evening,  and Maggie stayed overnight with the same friend as last week when we went away. Everyone has been marvellous.
Note (ii):
This was a different hospital to the one Hubby was in for his heart scare last year.
The food, what little I had, was dreadful (his was almost gourmet), and the nurses are rushed off their feet doing double shifts and expected to be in two, if not three, places at once.
Our Angels are taken for granted and so badly treated by our government in the UK, yet they manage to smile and reassure their patients under the most unpleasant of conditions. They are worth their weight in gold.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have recently lost our beloved dog Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney, and now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of my GSD so had hers done too. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in health and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Not another one!

  1. Heartafire says:

    It”s getting really difficult to handle medical problems…it’s like they don’t care anymore.

    • My GP is going to have one humdinger of a telephone conversation with me tomorrow!

      • Heartafire says:

        good for you! Being in the medical field for a number of years, I know it is all about money, and the physician are not being reimbursed well by insurance, and a lot just really don’t make the effort like they used to.

  2. Hope you are better. My husband had bad nosebleeds a few years back. They cauterized initially but then they did some other treatments that have been successful. He still has one or two a year but not the severity you had. I hope they can figure this out so you don’t have to go through this every couple of weeks. Hugs!

    • Thanks Kate. I spoke to the Doc today and her response was ‘Oh My God’ as she’d just got my hospital notes! BP is the priority now, so I shall be on the pills for a while. BP will be checked on a regular basis as from next Tuesday when I am piggybacking on Hubby’s blood test appointment with the same nurse. The Doc made an appointment for me ‘later in the morning’ rather than overbook, so that she can catch up. I’m doing OK at the moment though.

  3. You told this so perfectly. “bleed all over the desk” “want blood? Get a bucket” (I laughed, I cried, I wept in sympathy)
    No wonder you had high blood pressure and a bad headache. What an experience.
    The system isn’t working here either. Our docs are being worked to death and are about to collapse – and all the intrusive paper work/computer data input now (and it still gets confused so you end up like you did with the wrong records – or some smarty pants made assumptions…possibly so they could get reimbursed more like here?)
    Hope you’re doing better today
    Bless those nurses, medical staff, and docs hanging in there trying to help their patients

    • Thanks for your comment. I have to laugh too, if not I’d go nuts. The Doc is going to give my BP priority as the pills seem to be working and it’s coming down. Obviously we don’t want it to go too far the other way.

  4. What a scary story! Good thing they kept you in the hospital overnight, no telling what might have happened had you gone home too early.

    As for the release forms, I can understand them ticking off bruises and wounds (some of which probably happened while they were treating you for the nosebleed), but how did they come up with cigarette burns?

    • Damn tick list and multiple choice on the form (delete as required I suppose). I had the admin supervisor on the phone today apologising, saying that the form was designed in such a way that if there was a suspected problem, ‘yes*’ was circled. No circled yes or no and all is well. What a joke. They should just have scrawled ‘not applicable’ on that section! and all because someone couldn’t be bothered to circle ‘No’ or even discuss the form with me as they should have done (another oversight) and I would even have lent them my pen! No matter. All is well now, and no black marks against Hubby.

      • LOL. I once injured my ribs over a weekend when my 4-year-old ran at full speed and then crashed into me while trying to jump into my arms. I was sitting on the floor at the time. Come Monday morning, I realized I needed to go to the ER in case I actually broke a rib or something. Well, this particular ER was in an area of the city that had some of the rougher neighborhoods (it was on my way to work, which is why I went to that one). It turned out that Monday mornings were their big day for receiving women who had been abused by their husbands and/or boyfriends over the weekend. I had a really hard time getting them to believe my story, and I’m not sure they ever really did.

  5. scifihammy says:

    This whole post reads as a horror story! You poor poor thing!
    (I had wondered where you were, and just assumed it was internet problems.)
    The NHS is totally broken and as you say, the doctors and nurses are run off their feet. I am glad that Eventually they sorted the problem, but no cuppa till 2pm???
    I hope they also find a long term solution to your problem.

  6. Pingback: Diabetes check | pensitivity101

  7. Pingback: Spoke too soon | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.