Bet you were wondering how it was going (or not) 🙂
Well, no digging required, so that’s the easy bit, as success is all in the preparation.
We purchased our growbags, buckets, pots, trays, seeds and onion set last week.
Last night, Hubby was working on downloading a suitable image for our buckets, then tweaked it a bit ready for our experimentation.
We have decided against the traditional canal boat design of decorating the entire bucket, and instead will ‘Do it Our Way’ so that everyone can have a laugh or admire, whichever way they turn out.
Buying the paint was not as straightforward as one might think, so many options, so many prices, and should we buy pots, tubes or tins? A quick call to MOH for advice, and we came away from the craft shop with a pack of 6 tubes of acrylic paint (actually worked out cheaper than what we’d been looking at for less colours) and about twenty brushes (again cheaper to buy a pack rather than just two or three), then nipped in to the pound shop for 30 plastic beakers to use as our ‘paint pots’. My margarine container lid has been earmarked as a mixing palette when empty (a plastic palette was £3).
Hubby made a circular paper template, which we then stuck to the side of the bucket.
A quick rub down with a scourer to roughen up the surface within, and when we removed the template, voila, a nice defined area to apply paint to.
We intend to do a circle of colour on both sides of each bucket, and then paint our design on top of that. When finished, we’ll give it a coat of varnish to protect it from the weather.
The buckets will contain our tomatoes, and possibly some dwarf beans if we can find a suitable variety, and will be kept in the bow which should act as a greenhouse.
The first circle on each bucket is done.
Looking good, so we’re confident to do the second after we’ve let it dry, which is iffy as the weather is chilly and overcast.