Friday: First Week

It’s hard to believe we’ve been here a week already.
It still seems very strange having so much space, but as is typical when you do, we are gradually spreading out into it.
This is a common (but for us, bad) thing, as you don’t have to put things away or move one thing to get to another or sit down! In fact for want of a better description, my mother would say we are leaving our muddles everywhere. I’d actually forgotten how untidy we can be.

For the past two nights I have slept on the floor in the conservatory with Maggie, although she negotiated the stairs on the day of her op, much to our surprise. Coming down again was uncomfortable, and as we wanted to be able to manage her movement, we didn’t encourage it.
Both mornings I have awoken and got up just after 5, having got slightly chilled. A cuppa soon remedied that, then I put everything back in order and settled down to read the internet news and catch up on my reader. I woke up this morning to find her curled up at my feet in her usual position, fast asleep.

I had birdsong again just before 7, two little sparrows hopping on the patio, probably on the hunt for worms after the horrendous rainfall we had yesterday.
Hubby stayed with Maggie and did some washing whilst I went up for my diabetes eye test (all OK, and everything clear). Although the properties are not permitted to have washing lines, our host doesn’t have a tumble dryer and uses a heated airing frame instead.
With our weekly wash, this is not big enough so we have decided to use the dryer on the marina, which meant Hubby had to walk down last night. He got slightly damp going and absolutely soaked coming back, so was glad of the waterproofs.
I’d managed to get Maggie out for a wee around 5, and we had another break in the weather at 11, so could take her out for her final ablutions. Hurrah, our first post op poo!
dog poo 1We went up to see the vet first thing and on collecting the car noticed how high the water level was. The bank behind the boat is no longer visible and we just have a waterway between our pontoon and the one on the river. Although we’ve had this before, it was in January/February, not December. Still, we are always about 12 hours behind.

The vet is very pleased with Maggie’s progress, and we asked about her pain medication, a single daily dose which we are giving her after breakfast. Last night, she had quite a bit of discomfort and yelped a couple of times when moving. This we expected, but we don’t want her to be in any unnecessary pain if it can be avoided, so I’ve asked if we can halve the dose in the morning and give her the other half later . The vet thinks that’s a good idea, especially as she’s on the highest recommended dose but if we’re still not happy, then to take Maggie in after the weekend and they will try something else.
Her wound is healing nicely, but I’m afraid to touch it in case I hurt her further or do any damage internally.  The vet touched up and down the incision, and she has a tender spot at the bottom which could be muscular when she stretches her leg getting out of the car. The vet is confident that the first of her stitches should be OK to come out next Friday.
More good news is that she is eating, drinking, weeing and has had a poo, all of which are normal for her. We have also had no accidents indoors, bless her.

Digital Camera

This pic taken at MOH



About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, Dogs, health, weather, Weekday series and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Friday: First Week

  1. scifihammy says:

    Good to hear Maggie is healing nicely. Gentle hug to her 🙂

    • Thank you, she’s sleeping again after having a short walk (we’re trying to keep to her routine)

      • scifihammy says:

        Yes, it’s good to keep things as normal as possible. It sounds like quite a big wound, so no doubt she will be sore for a while, but dogs are amazing at getting back on their feet. Hope she has a good night – and you get some sleep too! 🙂

  2. colinandray says:

    Great news …. keep it coming! As for sleeping with Maggie on the floor? I get it …….. but I suspect only dog people would understand. 🙂

    • Yeah, a lady in the diabetes eye clinic said it was ‘dedication’. For us, it’s normal, especially as we’re in a strange house as well, but it’s better here than in the boat, so we were glad of the opportunity. Our host has been marvellous in her generosity (making sure the under floor heating was on so that her toes don’t get cold, her own chair and a duvet) as she lost her dog earlier in the year and has taken a shine to Maggie.

Comments are closed.