Sociable chattering

We have had a busy day but actually not achieved very much!
That’s the beauty I suppose, no-one to please but ourselves, no set routine or schedule to abide by, just things to do as and when we get around to them.

On the way out to walking the dog, we bumped into one of our friends and stood chatting for about fifteen minutes.
It looked like rain, but we walked across the bridge to basin 3 anyway for a change and had a short conversation with a guy who had just taken a boat off his trailer.
On the way back through the gate, we spoke to the groundsman for a few minutes. He not only cuts the grass, but does all the maintenance on site which includes operating the hydraulic lift for taking the boats out of the water.

Back home, we had breakfast, then I did the housework inside as Hubby washed the outside. It’s surprising how dirty boats can get even when they don’t go anywhere!

My laptop has been playing up as the transformer socket was loose and so my battery wasn’t recharging even though all the lights were on to suggest otherwise. When I checked, I had less than 20% remaining, so I jiggled the connections and it started to charge, then canceled out again. Hubby said he could fix it and we went into town to get the necessary bits.

We decided to have lunch out, did some other shopping, then once home, Hubby got his toolbox out and I took Maggie up to the dog walk to give him space to work.
I sat on the bench at the end and watched the sheep in the fields opposite.
sheep 11 6Four were trying to get to the water’s edge for a drink, and I was fascinated to see if they would fall in as they stretched their necks and shuffled their feet to get closer.
Two gave up in that area, walked five yards to the left and found a nice little cut in the bank that led straight to the water where they could drink with no effort.
Meanwhile, one sheep had got it sussed, and was on his knees with his head practically underwater. The other just looked at him as if he was nuts, and went thirsty.

Maggie started to bark and I thought someone was approaching with their dog, but it was
another friend at the end of the pontoon (would be in the left corner where the bank dips down into the marina basin in this picture), so as I approached, we started to chat, me on the bank and him on the pontoon below.
home dog walkOver an hour later I got home to find we had a visitor aboard. Hubby had made her a cup of tea and she was intrigued to watch him working on my computer.
She left just after 6.30 and I started to get dinner as Hubby began to put everything back together.
He hit a little snag, which developed into something bigger (he has so much patience, the air was only slightly tinged), so dinner was turned off and I held a torch and magnifying glass so that he could see what he was doing.
Let’s just say it took a while, and we had our evening meal at 8.15.

I’d just put the kettle on when there was a tap on the roof and another friend was dropping off a magazine for friends further down our pontoon. As she hadn’t seen us since Saturday’s Canopes, she wanted to make sure we were OK. I invited her in, and she stayed an hour (more tea).

Shortly thereafter, we took Maggie out for her final wee.
Up at the shower block,  our two elderly gentleman friends from earlier were in conversation, so we joined them and sat chatting about a variety of things as it was such a pleasant and warm evening, even though the sky was dark with ominous clouds.
At 10.45, Hubby walked one old boy back to his boat (he’d had a stroke last year and is sometimes a little unsteady on his feet, especially in the dark) and the other walked me home.
bb other sideHe said it was a long time since he’d walked a young lady to her front door.

About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, friends, life afloat, Marina, My life, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Sociable chattering

  1. colinandray says:

    What a day! Doesn’t it beat driving in rush hour traffic to an office full of people asking rather pointless questions; egos being exercised at your expense; unreasonable projects being delegated with equally unreasonable time frames; mindless chatter in meetings with very little accomplished other than the unreasonable use of your time; missed coffee breaks and lunches “on the run” due to poor planning on somebody’s part dictating an emergency on your part.

    I love being retired! 🙂 🙂 🙂

  2. That day sounds fantastic! I love having all kinds of interactions like that. 🙂

  3. You have to like those last 2 lines.
    Lovely day

Comments are closed.