Nobody’s Perfect

Following slightly on from my post yesterday and also one from my friend Colin today, Maggie let the side down this morning by reacting to a playful 18 month old labrador.
We are usually very proud of her behaviour, but Hubby misread the situation and Maggie ended up being banished to The Naughty Step (in this instance the back of the car) after nipping the labrador as it rushed up to her in its friendly haste.

We were embarrassed and apologetic as we explained that Maggie has a blind side, and as a rule we keep her close should a strange dog, puppy or smaller dog come towards her too fast, but Hubby thought the lab would slow down when instead he just kept coming full pelt, and well, Maggie didn’t handle it well.
The owners were marvellous and understood, no harm was done, and it was just a question of surprise more than anything else.

black labsThis lab is a solid dog. Absolutely gorgeous and daft as a brush. His attitude is much like her ladyship’s, insomuch as he is more likely to lick you to death, but he’s a lab, and in my experience, labs love to run, play and eat if they’re not asleep.

As we four adults chatted on the dogwalk and the lab ran after the rabbits, Maggie looked suitably forlorn (and guilty) on the back seat.
We will not tolerate bad behaviour from her, and discovered that by removing her from the situation to where we aren’t and carrying on as normal, makes the point that she has displeased us. We don’t carry this on indefinitely and after a short while, we normally invite her back into the group and she is fine.

The lab and his owners were off for a walk and we had plans to go into town in the car, so we parted company and no doubt will see them again as their boat is on the opposite side of our basin though they’re not live-aboards like us.
When we arrived in town, Maggie was good on her lead as we walked along the high street, and when we stopped for a takeout coffee, she sat on the little wall with us and waited patiently for her frothy bit.
Coming home, I suggested that Hubby drop me off at the gardens and I’d walk her back along The Ham to give her, and myself,Β  a bit of exercise.

I met up with a variety of dogs of different ages, breeds and size, and she was good with all of them. A lady in a boat on the river called her over and Maggie came nose to nose with her two dogs, and they all greeted each other like lost friends.

maggieMaggie is good for us 99% of the time, but there is always that chance that not only will she be blind sided, but so will we. This morning fell into that 1%.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in Dogs, Opinions, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Nobody’s Perfect

  1. scifihammy says:

    In Maggie’s defence she was only protecting herself. I see more problems from over friendly dogs that rush up to another dog far too fast, than actively aggressive dogs, that tend to give fair warning. Any dog can have that 1% – my dog LM has at least 10%!
    So don’t worry. I think you did great. πŸ™‚

    • I think so too. Because of her blind side, she tends to react first then think about it! Apart from time out on the naughty step, we don’t make an issue of it as it’s usually a rare occurrence. πŸ™‚

      • scifihammy says:

        Absolutely! Dogs live in the moment and simply react to any given situation. Even LM pulling my arm out of the socket was an instant reaction – I forgave her! πŸ™‚

Comments are closed.