Day 2, 1st July

We slipped into the vacated space after our new friends departed then tidied up a bit and got ourselves ready to set off again.
We’d had a spattering of rain during the night, but otherwise it was uneventful, as the ducks here were more sociable and didn’t start their morning chorus until around 6am.
It had been a stuffy night though, the temperature in the boat only dropping a few degrees to 30, even though we had all the windows open and the helm cover part way to try and get some air flow.
Hubby found mice droppings on the roof in the morning, so maybe it wasn’t rain after all!

We left just after 9, and arrived at our first lock of the day at 9.50.
Wyre lock is diamond shaped, the last of its kind, and thus a little awkward getting on and off when you’re in the middle and there are no walls to bounce off or ladders to climb!
We managed though and have discovered that it pays to be on our own so that we can take our time and if we cock things up, we can sort ourselves (me) out without getting into a panic. I made a note in the book that it might be a good idea for Hubby to stay on the boat when we go in next time!
day 2 pic 3 day 2 pic 4

We had one young lad offer us a hand at Fladbury and in his eagerness, he opened the paddle too fast and Hubby almost lost control of the ropes. One hand was blistered, and he has some pretty spectacular bruises on his arms. We had been given a tip to open the paddle on the gate nearest to us when locking up, so that when the water came in, it hit the opposite wall and then the wake pushed us back against the wall on the side we were on.
It paid off.

We’d noticed a little bit of seepage on one of the hose pipes on our daily checks, and stopped in at one of the boatyards for a new piece of hose.
The guy was brilliant, offering us some advice when we mentioned our singing engine, saying it was probably settling in and nothing to worry about unless it was all the time and in reverse as well. We offered to pay him for his time, but he wouldn’t take anything.
He was quite right as everything settled down and the engine was running as sweet as a nut by the end of our second day.

day 2 swansOf course my post would not be complete without at least one picture of a swan family!

After the next lock which again was a little stiff but non eventful, we heard thunder in the distance. The temperature was constantly rising, and we were melting.
Poor Maggie didn’t know what to do with herself, and we got through almost 6 litres of water between us.
There is a hand over hand rope ferry before you reach Evesham, and we had to announce our pending arrival by sounding our horn three times so that they could lower the rope to lie under the water for us to pass safely.
We also had to dodge roach poles which stretched over half way across the river as there was a fishing competition on. We got waves and smiles from the entrants as we passed though.

Maggie by this time had got used to us stopping and starting, and was quite content to get off the boat to explore, sniff and do a wee, then get back on with little encouragement.
day 2 off lockWe called it a day at half past five, mooring up at Offenham for the night.
The skirt cover on the helm was restricting our movement, so we took it off, leaving just the top canopy so that we resembled some kind of water ‘surrey with a fringe on top’.
The temperature in the boat was now over 40ΒΊ and Hubby found a bag of chocolate brazils, or should we say a bag of lumpy liquid, so they got put in the fridge for the following day and we had them as a slab.
day 2 offenham

Summary Day 2:
Number of locks: 5.
Travel time as per engine hours: 6.5 hrs
Distance travelled: 14 miles
Total distance : 28.5 miles

Our travel time is measured by the number of hours on our engine, hence start to finish time of the day will not be the same. Some locks took us almost an hour to go through, especially if we had to drain it first before we could go in.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, life afloat, My life, nature, Voyages and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Day 2, 1st July

  1. colinandray says:

    What an adventure ……… and the area!!!!! I had an aunt who lived in Fladbury. They owned a general store and garage and I stayed with them once for a couple of weeks (late 50’s/early 60’s). In 1963, my school arranged a “plum picking camp” just near Evesham so I had another couple of weeks there. A beautiful area. Love Worcestershire, Malvern Hills etc.! πŸ™‚

    • Actually I thought of you as we were going through Fladbury as you’d mentioned it before. The scenery from the river is wonderful, most of what we saw being totally unaccessible by road.

  2. scifihammy says:

    It’s not the destination, it’s the journey that counts πŸ™‚ So going slowly means you see all that lovely countryside πŸ™‚

  3. Pingback: Comparisons to Cinderella | pensitivity101

  4. Pingback: New Ground | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.