Except it wasn’t Fred, and it wasn’t right.
I was going to copy the lyrics to the above Bernard Cribbins classic, a song about shifting something big that wouldn’t fit, taking it apart, knocking down walls and taking out a ceiling, interspersed with endless cups of tea.
Our problem solving today wasn’t so much square pegs, but a bed frame, and I couldn’t get to the kitchen to make the tea!
Our mattress sits on a box frame, with storage underneath accessed by drop down doors at the side. In the base platform are two removable ‘trap’ doors with a 2 inch hole in each for ‘handles’. These holes are the only means of ventilation and air circulation, obviously covered when the mattress is in situ.
Yep, you guessed it. We have a damp mattress as the moisture generated by our combined body heat has just accumulated within.
Damp bedding can lead to mold, and mold is bad news in the health department.
This is something that cannot be ignored and had to be remedied asap, like NOW.
The boat has been in utter chaos today. I was held prisoner in the bathroom by the mattress, and the pair of us have been breathing in so often, I’m surprised we haven’t turned as blue as the boat.
We stripped the mattress of all coverings and propped it up on its side to let the air get round it.
The bed frame could not be modified so we decided the only thing for it was to replace the solid part with slats.
Surprisingly the boat dimensions are in imperial feet and inches, not metric, and our measurements showed we needed 11 pieces of 4 foot long wood.
As wood is sold in metric lengths these days, getting a 2.4 meter length and cutting it in half left us an inch short each side.
This meant that we would have to have it cut especially to the size we wanted, which could be expensive. Luckily, there is a handyman store just up the road (within walking distance actually), and they were able to help us at a reasonable cost.
Our mattress is four feet wide, but the bed frame slides out to four feet six, and we had a six inch sausage that fitted into the gap. You couldn’t walk by the bed when it was extended, so we managed with the six inches less and ditched the surplus.
We couldn’t get the movable part of the frame out of the boat as it was too long, too wide, and too tall whichever way we lifted it to try to get it through the hatch.
Hubby had no choice but to put a saw to it, in four places.
We have washed all of the bedding, including the mattress cover and protector.
The dehumidifier is going at that end of the boat, and we have had the heating on for an extra boost.
The slats have all been drilled but not yet screwed into place, and the mattress, placed on the top, is drying out nicely.
We shall sleep at the lounge end of the boat tonight, and maybe tomorrow as well to get the maximum air flow round it until we put it all back together.
We are disappointed at the glitch but not surprised, and think we have been lucky catching it in time before any major damage was done.
We had already checked our clothes that are stored in lidded containers under the bed and they are fine. As an extra precaution, we intend to replace the solid drop down doors with radiator covers
or put vents in the existing doors to help with air circulation.