After the storm

Last night, heavy wind and rain had been forecast, though we had been suffering squally showers most of the day. We had been lucky though, and not got caught in anything when out shopping or walking the dog.
The evening was cold, wet and windy, but having bought a couple of light throw overs for our legs, plus our woolly socks, and crocheting a throw which will now be Maggie’s when it’s finished, we were warm enough and weren’t too bothered.

Hubby took Maggie out for her final wee just after 10, donning his custard suit and she was wearing her modified jacket.
It was still raining and unlikely to ease off, so they were both well chilled when they got back, but at least they weren’t wet.
The boat is nice and cosy to come back to and the new curtain at the helm is certainly keeping the heat in. After a hot drink, we retired to bed.
Heavy rain was still hitting the boat, by the sound of it, it could have been hail, and the wind was none-too-gently rocking us about.

stormSome say size matters.
Most nights, having a four foot bed instead of four foot six isn’t a problem. Maggie curls up in the corner and is asleep in minutes, I have the inside and Hubby has the corridor.
Last night, I could hear him banging around, and asked what the matter was.
He told me he had to check on a few things, everything would be OK and to stay put.
Not one to argue at that, I was snug, comfy and warm, and Maggie was gently snoring in her corner!
He disappeared behind the curtain armed with a torch, and opened the hatch, going out into the night/early morning, but at least it had stopped raining.
I don’t remember him coming back in, but heard him put the kettle on and make himself a cuppa.

Hubby decided to have a shower this morning, taking the dog up for first wee (he puts her in the car whilst he’s in the gents) leaving me to get up, dressed and clean the boat as usual.
I found a sleeping bag hanging over the bathroom door and realised he must have slept on one of the benches, probably because he couldn’t get back into bed (I tend to star fish), or he felt he was too cold having gone outside (he’s thoughtful like that).
When he got back after his shower, breakfast was ready and I asked what had worried him enough to make him go outside in the middle of the night.
‘I didn’t,’ he said.
I explained about the banging around, torch and opening the hatch, and he said he hadn’t done any of those things. He said that the storm had kept up for hours, Maggie and I were tossing and turning, so he decided to get up, have a cup of tea, and settle down on the computer (he used to do this a lot in the house). The sleeping bag kept him warm.

By all accounts, the storm suddenly stopped at 4am.
‘It was like throwing a switch,’ he said, ‘one minute it was raging, the next, silence’.

calmMaggie and I had slept through it all.


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, life afloat, weather and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to After the storm

  1. amommasview says:

    I guess if you feel safe you sleep through it.

    • You’re right. It’s so different here on the boat.
      In the house, wind and rain (and not even the heavy stuff) would have me awake most of the night. No need to worry about leaky windows or the roof, or storm damage to fence panels now.

Comments are closed.