Dodging the rain

Today has been absolutely dire, but first thing this morning was a different matter.
After a good night’s sleep all round, Hubby was up first as is the norm, but Maggie and I settled down with the whole bed to ourselves and had another hour.

Around 8.30 I sleepily asked Hubby what the weather was like. He said it was fine, but would check the radar just in case.
weather radarI won’t repeat his single word of exclamation (let’s just say a passing duck took note) and it was suddenly a mad panic to get his shoes and coat on, with me under instruction to get Maggie dressed in her little waterproof as it was due to rain in FIVE MINUTES.

A little point here.
Unlike the Summer when it’s bright and warm first thing in the morning, when Hubby gets up and immediately takes the dog out leaving me to get up, make the bed and sweep the boat, now that the mornings are dark and cold, Hubby gets up a little later (but not much) and us gals stay in bed for a bit.

Anyway, Hubs and Dog duly disappeared out of the hatchway and I got up to do the usual.
He was back within half an hour, no rain had occurred during his absence, but no sooner had he closed the hatch when the skies opened.

number 1   Point One to us then.

The plan for today was to change the engine oil in the boat.
Having already done the gear box, this had been postponed for a while due to not having suitable kit to drain the old oil ( we can’t get underneath like you can a car), confused about what oil to purchase, and not really sure how to go about it.
All ‘excuses’ having been dealt with (including the purchase of a superb suction thing),
oilextractat 11.30 when the rain had stopped, we donned our black waterproofs and walked the dog into town to purchase the required 6 litres of oil for the job (as usual the largest container available was only 5 litres, so we had to buy a smaller second bottle) .
We then walked along the river and lock back home, hoping to avoid the next band of rain.
This time we didn’t get to open the hatch, but we were at least under cover so didn’t get wet.

2   Point two to us as well.

I admit I was not really happy to do the job today as it was now chucking it down, but we were dry under the cover and Hubby wanted to get it done.
I helped….. by reading the manual, and as always being Hubby’s gofer for things he’d either forgotten or were out of reach.

gopher 1It took two hours, but actually went very well and the bad weather hadn’t mattered.
Hubby cleared up then took the dog out for a short walk as it had temporarily stopped.
The boat was bloody cold though, so I put the heating on for half an hour and started to make dinner.
He was 10 yards from our deck when it started again, so got a few drops on his coat, though the dog was OK. I guess four legs walk (and dodge rain) faster than 2.

I suppose we can concede that point to the rain.

rainfallJob done, we settled down after dinner to relax, though at 4pm Maggie was anxious, so it was my turn to take her out.
I took a chance by only wearing my body warmer, but dressed Maggie accordingly just in case. I thought I could get in a short walk with her and was about to leave the Marina when something wet dripped on my head, so it was a quick about-face and equally quick march back to the boat.
I beat the rain by inches.
3 b  Point three to me.

Since then in retaliation, it hasn’t let up AT ALL .
Looking at the radar, this wet Sulker is going to be with us for a few hours yet, but all being well we should have a dry period between 9 and 10pm, just right for Maggie’s final wee.

Dare I say then that the scores on the doors will be   4 b 1  in our favour ?


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, home, humour, Marina, My life, weather and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dodging the rain

  1. Pingback: After the storm | pensitivity101

  2. Pingback: Pitter Patter, rain don’t matter | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.