Our first bath for YEARS

Tonight we are back in Lincolnshire.
We rang our boat cover people to find out when they are in our area and as it was Wednesday afternoon, we decided to come up and sort out our storage.
The journey took us just over 3 hours so we were quite pleased.
When we opened our container though, we both groaned. There was just SO MUCH.

Hubby went up to the main office and spoke to a group of guys, offering them his tools and anything else they might fancy.
Our leather recliner chairs with matching stools and the fridge freezer is now in their new staff room.
All 3 dressing tables, the dining room table and chairs, wardrobe and bedside cabinets have all been taken, so there is little need to arrange a charity van to collect stuff.
Hubby did a charity shop run, only to find that the back road was closed and he had to fight his way through town, which took almost an hour.
As far as I could remember, the tip closed at 4pm, and didn’t open again until Friday due to cutbacks, so it was touch and go whether we’d make it with some bulky stuff.
We were lucky, getting there with almost 10 minutes to spare, and the main tip is actually open 7 days a week, so we can do some more tomorrow if need be.

Coming back from the tip, we decided that we had three priorities after we finished for the day.
1. Walk Maggie and give her her dinner (she doesn’t travel very well now and goes off her food)
2. Get something to eat (we hadn’t eaten since breakfast)
3. Find accommodation.

We had made a few phone calls before leaving the marina this morning to a couple of chains of hotels. One promised (and failed) to call me back, the other number was a misprint and put me through to their fax machine, and the third didn’t take pets.
I rang the first again, and they don’t take pets either, but we were well on our way by then so thought we’d play it by ear.
We stopped at two other places en route, but neither took pets, so we had nowhere to stay, but as we still had the mattress in the car, we thought we’d could wrap ourselves in a couple of blankets and sleep in a lay by somewhere, finish sorting everything out tomorrow and make our way back in the evening

Getting back to the lock up, I went into the office to check about closing and opening times, and asked if they knew of a B&B that would allow us to take the dog.
Yvonne went one better. She rang a local Lodge that they use often for visitors, explained the situation,and this very nice man at the end of the phone is letting us have the family room for two nights for the price of a double,  including breakfast, and Maggie is welcome.
We have decided to have the extra night so that we can work like stink tomorrow and get everything sorted, have a relaxing evening and good night’s sleep, then a good breakfast before getting on the road for about 8am.

We left the lock up at 5.30, having sorted out at least half of our boxed stuff.
Most of it is ready to go to the charity shop first thing tomorrow morning.
I can finally see my car, which is also full of stuff to be sorted.
We shall be there early tomorrow morning to attack the rest.

There is a big field close to our accommodation where we can walk Maggie safely, and we went into town to the all day chinese buffet and pigged out, bringing out a few titbits of chicken for her .

The en-suite has a bath.
The last time we had a bath was in 2007 when we bought the house as the shower was pouring water everywhere except out of the shower rose.
We have both taken full advantage…… lovely hot water, bubbles, big white fluffy towels. Terrific.
Tea making facilities, cable TV, free wi-fi, comfy bed,
And did I mention the bath?




About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in food, house sale and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Our first bath for YEARS

  1. Pingback: Launderette duty | pensitivity101

  2. Pingback: A Story of Two Boats | pensitivity101

  3. Pingback: Have Duck, with bubbles. | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.