The tail end of Bertha

As I look out of our port side window, I can see about 30 ducks in various positions on the bank running alongside our pontoon. There are a fair few on the water too, and today I was wishing I was a duck.

duck and ducklings‘Water off a duck’s back’ has never rung so true as it did today as I watched a lone female mallard swim towards me, completely dry, in the pouring rain!
Last night, we managed to walk the dog for the final time before the rains came.
In the early hours, the tail of Bertha struck us, and it poured, BIG TIME.
After last time, I was much more comfortable with the situation, managing to get back to sleep, the dog curled alongside me.
This morning though, it was still chucking it down, and by the look of things, the water has risen a little in the marina as I can see more of the boat roofs on the other side of the bank in the river itself.
At 7.30, so somewhat of a lie in, there seemed to be a lull, and Hubby got up to face the elements and give her ladyship her first walk of the day.
Sadly, they were both drenched by the time they got back, and we got through a fair few towels drying them off.
camping wet dogThe set of waterproofs have come into their own, and I’ll be glad when we have the cratch and pram covers fitted, but as for today, we had to manage.
We had purchased one of those ‘over the door hanger’ thingies, which was in the bathroom with a large towel underneath to catch the drips we hadn’t managed to wipe off as we hung said waterproofs and Maggie’s little jacket up.
According to the radar, the bad weather was in for a few more hours, so Hubby blogged, Maggie snoozed, and I wrote a 16 page letter to a friend, then started another letter to another friend.
The sun came out, so it was up to the dog walk for a quickie, and when we got back, Hubby decided now was a good time to refill our fresh water tank which was down to a quarter.
He also wanted to wash the boat.
Not a problem, as long as the weather stayed fine, so there we were, soapy water and brush, cleaning off the muck.
It started to rain, hard. We got wet, and not from the back splashes from the hose either. Anyone watching would have thought we were nuts, but we couldn’t leave the boat soapy and rely on the rain to rinse her off, so we had no choice really.
The problem of course was getting us and our clothes dry after the event, so I decided to go up and do some laundry. Towels, joggers, tee shirts, everything went in the wash.
It was now 2.30pm and thankfully, the sun came out again, so at least I was able to get up to the laundry room in normal clothes whilst Hubby tidied everything away and joined me later with the dog, who had another walk.

The sun has stayed out, but the wind has picked up, which actually is just as well as two tee shirts and 2 towels weren’t quite dry and as they aren’t ‘unsightly washing’ such as knickers, are now blowing in the bow on a makeshift line.

The boat is shining, the decks are clean, and the swallow poo no longer on the roof.
Hubby is reading, I’m blogging, and the dog is snoozing.

What more could you want on a lazy Sunday afternoon?


About pensitivity101

I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! In November 2020, we lost our beloved Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. We decided to have a photo put on canvas as we had for her predecessor Barney. We now have three pictures of our fur babies on the wall as we found a snapshot of Kizzy, my GSD when Hubby and I first met so had hers done too. On February 24th 2022 we were blessed to find Maya, a 13 week old GSD pup who has made her own place in our hearts. You can follow our training methods, photos and her growth in my blog posts. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
This entry was posted in diary, life afloat, lifestyle, Marina, My life, narrow boat, nature and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to The tail end of Bertha

  1. So many days of adventure I had to catch up on–but I must say, I’m thrilled things are falling into place and you’re finding the new routines to be worthy ones.
    I’m just finishing a book called, The Big Tiny by Dee Williams where she decides to sell everything and build herself a tiny house that lives on a moveable trailer. I’m amazed and inspired by her adventure, but you three have done so much of the same, and definitely has given me pause for thought for my own future.
    Here’s to further smooth sailing. 😉

    • Thanks! We have a few more humps, lumps and bumps to overcome I’m sure, but we’re taking each day as it comes which is all we can do at this stage.
      We are thinking of our stuff in storage and agree most of it isn’t going to fit, so will be very popular with the charity shops again. Someone told us that sometimes it’s best to literally dump all the ‘house stuff’ and buy what you need as and when you need it. Tomorrow I’m on the look out for small dinner plates and bowls. Loads of charity shops here to chose from, and I never was one for a full dinner service! 🙂

  2. Pingback: Four o’clock warning, five o’clock eggs | pensitivity101

  3. Pingback: Her name is Rachel | pensitivity101

  4. Pingback: Putting off our Friend | pensitivity101

Comments are closed.