The day has dawned bright and sunny, so the washing is out, and breakfast being had early. That first cuppa always tastes like nectar.
Clothes all sorted yesterday, one bag for the tip, 3 for the charity shop (bye bye one and only frock, it hangs on me, as do the 4 XXXL (only worn twice) tee shirts bought for my NZ trip in 2010) , 3 holdalls for storage (one with coats) and one to take with us containing our posh gear and every day wear. Not bad.
Tip run today is our trusty lawn mower and the TV. Poor thing, it’s lasted well over 12 years, but the picture is getting pinker and pinker every time we turn on. There’s no receiver in it anyway, so not worth the hassle.
Friend in Bristol is happy to have us, booked his crumble for first meal cooked by Yours Truly, which is good as I found a huge tin of gooseberries we forgot we had at the back of the cupboard.
Freezer holds 1 chicken breast, and half a bag of mixed veg. For sale sign going up today, and if we don’t sell it, it can go into storage.
Interesting development on our Prime Target Purchase.
Having turned down our last offer, we hadn’t got back to them with an increase, so the Estate Agent rang us yesterday. We are sticking to our guns and not being tempted to offer more.
This property is a SHELL, having been completely gutted after repossession.
It needs a lot of work, and I mean a lot, but most is cosmetic. There is no workable kitchen (units have broken shelves and severely damaged worktops, plus the sink is a complete write off) , no heating and although there is a bathroom suite, we have no idea if it’s actually plumbed in as nothing fits. The glazing in all the windows has ‘blown’ and so they will also need replacing.
Decor wise it’s horrible, paper falling off the walls, rotten skirting boards, etc.
Good points: good roof, new wiring, no evidence of subsidence, off road parking for both cars, small garden for Maggie.
I’ve done some figures, and as things like central heating and double glazing have to be done by professionals, we are looking at around £25K of work. I’ve just taken that off the asking price, and that’s our maximum offer.
Our initial plan as soon as we had a date for exchange and completion (not anticipating the chaos) had been to hopefully secure the property before we moved out, got the ball rolling with our solicitor, and then went off for a month’s holiday or so whilst everything went through.
As things have turned out, we are still going to have our ‘holiday’, but will not rush into another purchase, especially as we will be away from Base and probably on the other side of the country!
If we are meant to have it, it will still be available when we are ready.
If not, we’ll shrug our shoulders as we have other options.
Today is going to be another ‘fun packed’ day, but I’m feeling better than I have in a month. Must be that good night’s sleep I had (either that or the pills have finally kicked in) .
See you tomorrow!